Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Feb 18, 2003, 6:55 PM   #1

Default ETX 90 Spotting Scope & CP995

I recently picked up a used ETX 90 Spotting Scope to use with my Nikon CP 995.

As I am new to the concept of Digiscoping, I was just wondering if there are any preferred settings that I should use on the camera such as Manual Focus vs Auto Focus, Aperature setting etc.

Any advice to get me going in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rob
grumpy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:07 AM   #2

I find using autofocus and macro mode works best for me. I also use focus confirmation. If you don't already have it, you will need an Extend-a-View to let you really get close enough to fine focus. I don't recommend continuous autofocus, but rather autofocus with half press of shutter.

Aperture will depend a great deal on available light. Smaller aperture settings tend to minimize chromatic aberration and especially blooming (blue/purple fringing) in bright areas of sky meeting vegetation, but smaller apertures are not always possible because of lighting.

Perhaps the most important thing of all is shutter release. It's nearly impossible to hand press the shutter without moving the camera/scope. Timed release will work by giving the vibrations time to die down, but if you really want the very best method I've found, think seriously about getting a DigiSnap 2000. The DigiSnap is, in my experience, quite superior to Nikon's own shutter release. It will let you focus, zoom and snap the shutter without actually moving the camera at all. Highly recommended. Below are links to the manufacturer of the Xtend-a-View (PhotoSolve) and DigiSnap line of shutter release products (Harbortronics).

http://www.photosolve.com

http://www.harbortronics.com

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:54 PM   #3

Lin........Thank you very much for your advice. I'm sure it will help me in my digiscoping endeavours.

I have another quesion, if you don't mind. I may be getting ahead of myself here, but I was wondering about eyepieces. The ETX-90 Spotting Scope came with a Meade 26mm Eyepiece. Do see any need for a different size eyepiece and if so, what would you recommend. ( I plan to use the spotting scope for photographing birds)

Thanks

Rob
Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:44 PM   #4

Hi Rob,

Though you "can" use a mechanical adapter to hold the camera lens to the existing eyepiece, the "best" solution, by far, is to use a wide pupil exit eyepiece which fastens directly to the filter threads on the camera. The one I use with the ETX-90 and my CP4500 (same filter thread as the CP995 - and same 4x zoom) is the William Optics DCL-28. This is a 24mm eyepiece which will let you zoom the CP995 nearly to full wide angle without significant vignetting. It gives you a great range of zoom so you don't have to be working at near full zoom all the time. The eyepiece is of excellent optical glass with zero chromatic aberration added (there is a little from the Nikon's lens) and very reasonable in cost. Here's a link where you can get more information and purchase if you like:

Lin

http://www.williamoptics.com/
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 6:01 PM   #5

Lin....Thanks again for the advice.

I tried to place an order for the DCL-28 Eyepiece from Williams Optics but it appears for International Orders (including Canada except for British Columbia) that they do not accept Credit Cards over the Internet. Apparently, they only do "Wire Transfers" (an additional cost of $28.00) which I'm not totally sure what they're talking about. Anyway, rather than go through the hassle, I'll just stick with the Scoptronics Digi-T adapter that I have, although it would have been nice to get the DCL-28.

Again thanks for your advice.

Take care

Rob