Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:21 AM   #1

Default Sightandsoundshop.com

Has anyone ever ordered from this place? They have the meade etx-90 for $169, bhphoto.com 's price is $400+, are they just way overpriced on this scope or is this a scam? I got an email stateing it is instock and couldn't find any info on resellerratings.com.
PaulyOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2003, 8:57 AM   #2

Default correction........sightandsoundshop.com

sorry wrong website, this is it www.sightandsoundshop.com
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:10 AM   #3

That price is good, but not all that unusual. This is one of the older models "the RA" of the ETX-90. The newer models have electronic computerized tracking, etc., which is what makes them cost more. The normal retail price for a new model ETX-90 is around $600 (MSRP) and $500 street. The RA models are much less, but for purposes of digiscoping are perfectly fine since the optics are identical.

Sometimes the newer models come with an erecting prism and a couple eyepieces. I suspect this one is pretty much a single eyepiece without any gingerbread. If you use it for terrestrial digiscoping, you will probably want to also purchase an erecting prism so things appear "right side up." Some use it for digiscoping without, but most prefer to work with it as if they were using a standard terrestrial scope.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Evans
Sometimes the newer models come with an erecting prism and a couple eyepieces. I suspect this one is pretty much a single eyepiece without any gingerbread. If you use it for terrestrial digiscoping, you will probably want to also purchase an erecting prism so things appear "right side up." Some use it for digiscoping without, but most prefer to work with it as if they were using a standard terrestrial scope.

Lin
Hey thanks for the tip Lin, i hadn't thought of an erecting prism, i could always flip the image on the computer, but i'd like to look through the eyepiece as well as take pics through it. I called them and added one to my order, they seemed very competent on the phone and said the prism was also instock and it will ship today, i love same day shipping.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:41 AM   #5

I bought my ETX-90 from Sight and Sound last year and they are a good company to deal with. The ETX comes with a built in 90 degree diagonal and the images are already right side up. They are reversed left to right though. So streets signs will be right side up, you just have a hard time reading them since the letters are backwards. This is no big deal if you are just taking pictures of birds.
Ralph
Panotaker is offline   Reply With Quote