Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Dec 7, 2005, 9:49 PM   #1

Any ideas or suggestions will be appriciated.

I want to use my FZ30 and a Spotting scope with a zoom up to 60 to get photos of elk. Most of these photos will be from around 1 mile away. Since the weather conditions here in the mountains is so crazy I will need a spotting scope that is fog proof and want one with at least a 80mm lense since most photos will be in low light conditions.

Thanks in advance.

roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:08 PM   #2

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Any ideas or suggestions will be appriciated.

I want to use my FZ30 and a Spotting scope with a zoom up to 60 to get photos of elk. Most of these photos will be from around 1 mile away. Since the weather conditions here in the mountains is so crazy I will need a spotting scope that is fog proof and want one with at least a 80mm lense since most photos will be in low light conditions.

Thanks in advance.

roger
Sorry Roger,

You are not going to be able to do much with the FZ30 in the way of digiscoping, it's just not going to work well. I have the FZ10 and FZ20 and neither are worth much for digiscoping but are both dynamite cameras.

Digiscoping requires that the camera be able to "see" through an eyepiece. It can be the original or a specialized eyepiece made specifically for a camera's lens, but these are invariably designed for tiny objective lenses such as found on the old Nikon CP series, some of the Kyocera/Contax models or in some cases small Canon and Casio models have been used. Of my 30 plus fixed lens consumer digicams representing models from nearly all major manufacturer's (Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Panasonic, Minolta, Meade, etc.) the best I've found are the older Nikon CP series. You can pick up a used CP990 or CP4500 for a very reasonable price on EBAY or elsewhere on the web and it will make you a dandy digiscoping tool when coupled with a good spotting scope or even aninexpensive celestial (mirror) type. Iuse a SwarovskiST-80 HD and a Meade ETX-90 myself.

The other down side is that probably nothing is going to work very well for photographing elk at a distance of one mile. There is simply too much atmosphere between the subject and lens to get decent shots at that distance. Digiscoping works best forgetting dynamic closeups of relatively close-in subjects rather than for getting images of really distant terrestrial frames. It's a bit different when using the digiscoping combination for planets, etc., where atmospheric conditions at nignt are more amenable. During the day thermals and other variables make getting decent images problematic at great distances.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2005, 6:52 PM   #3

Thanks Lin for the information

I am going to have to use a new camera for this project. Which of the new available cameras will work the best??? I will be printing the photos on good quality 8 1/2 x 11 photo paper so I probably need a pretty high pixel count???

Getting closed to the elk and other wildlife only means more time invested so that is not a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

roger
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 2:45 PM   #4

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Lin for the information

I am going to have to use a new camera for this project. Which of the new available cameras will work the best??? I will be printing the photos on good quality 8 1/2 x 11 photo paper so I probably need a pretty high pixel count???

Getting closed to the elk and other wildlife only means more time invested so that is not a problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

roger
Hi Roger,

There have been so many new cameras that I've not been able to keep up with their potentials for digiscoping so let me direct you over to Andy Bright's forum where you can most likely get some good current information.

Follow the link below:

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=243

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 8:42 PM   #5

Note this thread at dpreview with a very detailed FZ30 digiscoping recipe, sadly I still seem to be out of luck with my FZ20. Your spotting scope will most likely not work (unless it can accpet 2" eyepieces).

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=15542061
ssemone is offline   Reply With Quote