Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:40 PM   #1

Is this possible? How would I go about it etc.. Im a complete noob in this area but have been amazed by some of the shots you guys get and would really like to join in. Any help appreciated.
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 2:10 AM   #2

I've not had access to this camera so I'm not certain how amenable it might be. I understand it has a 4x optical zoom and lens aperture between F2.8 and F4 so it's "possible" that it may work.

The best way to test it is to find a telescope or even a pair of binoculars and hold the camera's objective lens right up against the eyepiece. Start with full zoom in and take some shots from full zoom to wide angle and see what you get.

If some or all are halfway decent then the next step would be to determine how to mount the camera. Try the experiment first and get back with the results and we can pursue it further.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:11 AM   #3

Thank you kindly Lin, any suggestions as to which cheap binocs/tele I should use? Or would any plain old vanilla ones do just fine?
audioedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:31 PM   #4

audioedge wrote:
Quote:
Thank you kindly Lin, any suggestions as to which cheap binocs/tele I should use? Or would any plain old vanilla ones do just fine?
About any type would do fine. What you are doing is determining how well the camera'slens is compatible with "seeing" through an eyepiece. Small lenses such as on the older CP series Nikon cameras, the ones with 28mm filter threads, are very amenable to "seeing" through rather tiny oculars. Many of the newer cameras with larger objectives do not do so well. The best way to find out is to simply experiment with any old telescope or binoculars. If what you get has significant vignetting at full zoom then there is little compatibility. On the other hand if you have no vignetting at full zoom and can even zoom back a bit, then there is promise.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote