Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:40 PM   #1

Hi, Can anyone help me with this problem, I'm a newbie so forgive any errors.

I own a Canon Powersot S30, and have inherited a Nikon Fieldscope ED and a Canon T70 SLR camera.

I would like to try digiscoping between the S30 and the Fieldscope and need some help with the required adapters.

I also inherited a Kowa lens adapter that allows me to connect the Fieldcsope to the Canon T70 bayonet lens mount, ie like an FD lens.

Can I connect this FD lens to my Powershot S30?

Or is their another way to connect the scope to the S30?
gkeable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:02 AM   #2

gkeable wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Can anyone help me with this problem, I'm a newbie so forgive any errors.

I own a Canon Powersot S30, and have inherited a Nikon Fieldscope ED and a Canon T70 SLR camera.

I would like to try digiscoping between the S30 and the Fieldscope and need some help with the required adapters.

I also inherited a Kowa lens adapter that allows me to connect the Fieldcsope to the Canon T70 bayonet lens mount, ie like an FD lens.

Can I connect this FD lens to my Powershot S30?

Or is their another way to connect the scope to the S30?
The way you have to approach this is afocal - that is you need to bring the objective (front) lens of the Canon in close proximity to the ocular (eyepiece) of the Fieldscope.

There are essentially two ways to accomplish this. The first way is to get an adapter which mechanically holds the Canon in close proximity to the eyepiece. Usually this is done by connecting to the tripod mount on the cameras and in a mechanical fashion hold the camera close to the telescope lens. The second way is to get an adapter which resembles a tube. One end screws to the camera via the threads inside the housing where the camera's lens telescopes out. The other end either threads to a specialized eyepiece or is held by a "clamp" which fastens over the eyepiece of the telescope thus providing a mechanical link between the camera body and telescope lens with the front of the camera's objective lens resting in extreme close proximity to the occular lens of the eyepiece.

The second way, of course, depends on there being threads on the housing and having an available adapter. Not being familiar with the S30 I can't say whether it's more amenable to one or the other way. First see if there are any threads on the camera body where the lens extends. If not, the the tripod mount will be the only viable solution. If there are threads, then check with Canon about a filter adapter tube or a sunshade tube.

Here's a link to one of the best sites for adapters of these kinds. It's in the UK but they ship worldwide and are a company of the highest integrity (I've dealt with them since they started in business and have done beta testing for their products).

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com

You are most likely to find a solution here if there is one. Before you buy any adapters, please simply hold the camera up to the telescope lens, zoom all the way in and try a few shots to see if it's a go. If you like the results then pursue it further. Also try this link to the above site and look at the Cam Mount:

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/erol2eu/erol.html

Best regards,

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:19 AM   #3

I had a Canon S30 & a Kowa scope. I purchased an Orion Steadypix SLR camera mount from a local scope shop for $50. It clips on to the scope eyepiece & has a sturdy metal bar extending out to which you can attach the S30 via a screw mount. You then position the camera (with zoom extended)as close to the eyepiece as possible so that no vignetting is visible on the LCD screen. It is a bit cumbersome of anarrangement but it works. Tripod is essential of course.

I now use the same set up with an updated Canon S50. The camera mount alsoattaches to a Mead ETX-90's ocular.
rlepik is offline   Reply With Quote