Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Mar 13, 2003, 5:52 PM   #1

Default Digiscoping Sites

I have a new digiscoping site with general info. tailored mainly for Newbies, and with bird photos taken in the Chattanooga TN area. Newbies might find it to be a helpful visit. Will be adding more info. , photos, etc. within the 10 Meg site limit.

:arrow: http://home.att.net/~noogadigiscoping

I also have the following site that documents Peregrine Falcons nesting in the Chattanooga area. Digiscoping is used to obtain the photos since the falcons are viewed from a distance.

:arrow: http://home.att.net/~chattperegrines
Mick Gentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2003, 9:50 AM   #2

Default Nicely Done Site

Good job on your web site Mick. I will be watching it for new additions.
I am getting ready to try digiscoping my self. I have owned a Nikon 990 for 2 years. I have just purchased a scope that will arrive next Wednesday. I found a used Swarovski ST-80 HD from a dealer in the mid-west. It was traded in 2 days ago by a 92 year old man who wanted to upgrade to the new STS-80 HD. It is in mint pristine condition and I was told that it could pass for new. It comes with the Swarovski 20-60 zoom eyepiece and all of the caps and a protective cover. It was less than a grand so I fee that it was a good value.
I am now looking at all of the different adapters out there. Can you tell me if I have an adapter screwed into the 28mm threads on the 990's lens and then connected to the eyepiece will 990's lens support the weight of the camera hanging off the back of the scope without any additional support?
Anyones views on this would be appreciated alot.

Regards,
Mike
mashjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2003, 7:15 AM   #3

Mike

You definitely got a bargain on your scope, especially since you got the 20-60x zoom eyepiece and HD glass. I have the same scope but not with HD. I also use the 990. I haven't tried the adapter arrangement you mention. The lens ring on the 990 is metal but I'm not sure how it is fastened to the camera body. It might hold the weight of the camera ok but I would be affraid that an accidental bump of the camera might cause some damage. I just use a ring that I lathed from a PVC conduit fitting. One side fits the eyepiece (with rubber eye cup removed) and the other side is machined for the camera lens ring. It is only about 1/4 inch thick. and I just hand-hold the camera to the adapter. But I have seen on other digiscoping sites that the arrangement you mentioned is being used.
Mick Gentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 3:51 PM   #4

Nice website, thanks for the link.
There shouldn't be any problem with the cp990's thread holding the camera. My Nikon 990/4500 live on my scope's eyepiece for much of the time, a serious knock on the camera may cause a problem... but any serious knock is likely to cause a problem where-ever your camera is :lol:
I've been digiscoping with an adapter for several years without any mishaps.
Andy
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Can you tell me if I have an adapter screwed into the 28mm threads on the 990's lens and then connected to the eyepiece will 990's lens support the weight of the camera hanging off the back of the scope without any additional support?
Anyones views on this would be appreciated alot.
Like Andy says, no problem there - I use the 950, 990 and 4500 this way and they handle the weight without incident.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2003, 3:14 PM   #6

Thank you Andy and Lin for your advise on tne lens threads on the Nikon 990. I did receive my Swarovski ST-80 HD and an adapter I ordered. I purchased the 2Plus LE-Adapter and it works great. It fits right over the eyepiece by folding up the rubber eyecup and once adjusted can be removed and reinstalled by just one screw. It is a very well manfactured adapter. I have printed Andy's camera settings discussion off of his web site to try to learn the best settings for the camera. This has helped so much!
I also like the Swarovski 20-60x zoom eyepiece but I think that I will also purchase a fixed eyepiece (24 mm ?) also.
So much to learn, If I could only get more time off work.
Thanks for everyones help.
Mike
mashjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 1:38 PM   #7

Glad to be of assistance, Mike.
Of course the good thing about the LE2+ is that it will fit nicely onto another eyepiece, although custom-fit adapters are nice.... you usually have to buy another one for a different eyepiece.

I find the LE2+ extremely useful as I get to test various scopes, though I think the Pentax zoom e.p. would defeat it!
Andy
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote