Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Mar 29, 2003, 3:28 PM   #1

Default William Optics 24mm DCL-28 eyepiece

I would like to get some more advice on eyepieces please. I have a Swarovski ST-80 HD connected to a Nikon Coolpix 990 using the Swarovski 20 - 60x zoom eyepiece. Comparing my current zoom eyepiece at 20x setting to a fixed one such as the Williams Optics 24mm will I notice a big differance in the field of view. With the Williams could I reduce the zoom on the camera more than with the Swarovski 20-60x and is the optical quality of the Williams 24mm comparable to Swarovski.
I shoot larger mammals more so than birds. Also any comments on the Swarovski fixed eyepieces such as the 30mm.
Thanks for any advice. This has been very helpful to receive answers to my questions on this and on Andy's forum.

Mike
mashjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2003, 10:22 PM   #2

Hey up there in panama city, you got a nice and expensive spotting scope, why buy a cheap eyepiece for it, i seriously doubt the dcl28 will be comparible to a swarovski fixed eyepiece, someone did a comparison of it to a pentax xl28 and that same person tried to sell me the william optics eyepiece, i decided on the xl28. I would think the field of view would be much greater than with your zoom, but you should be able to look up the specs on the eyepieces on the net. I use the pentax pf-80ed-a, i actually just got it yesterday and here's some of my first shots taken today with a 1/15th shutter speed and hand holding to the eyepiece, no croping, taken in macro mode on the 990, so half zoom.

http://www.pbase.com/paulyoly/digiscoping_with_s602
PaulyOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2003, 9:44 AM   #3

Default William Optics DCL-28 is EXCELLENT glass.....

Quite the contrary, the William Optics DCL-28 is an incredibly sharp and clean eyepiece, equal in every way to Swarovski's best. I highly recommend it, especially for mid-range (up to 3000mm) with the HD-80.

I have the ST80-HD and I use it variously with Swarovski, William Optics 24mm and ScopeTronix eyepieces - all excellent.

You will get MUCH more zoom back range with the William Optics. With my CP4500, I have over 80% vignette free zoom.

Lin

Here's a shot with the William Optics DCC-28:

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:58 AM   #4

Default william optics eyepiece

"why buy a cheap eyepiece for it"

Where does this idea come from? I have read it in more than one place now. I just ordered one. It's about $90. I will be using it in place of a Celestron 25mm Plossl. The Celestron goes for about $60 and is, I believe, considered in many circles to be a quality piece. I would venture a guess that the William eyepiece optics is at least as good as the typical digicam optics. After all, if the camera is $400, how expensive can the lens optics really be?
If you can refer us to a review of the eyepiece, I would appreciate it. Otherwise, I am going to trust that I am not taking a step backwards in spite of your post.
StanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 12:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Where does this idea come from?
Obviously not from anyone who has ever used one! The DCS-28 is among the sharpest, if not THE sharpest eyepiece I have ever used.

I have no clue where people get this idea, but I purchased one of the first ones at $100 and found it to be superior to everything else I had. Of course to use it with a Swarovski, one must buy the Swarovski adapter to adapt a 1.25" bayonette type eyepiece made for celestial scopes, but it works "perfectly."

Both the Swarovski and ScopeTronix eyepieces are equal in every way to the best which Leica, Pentax, Swarovski, Meade, Celestron and Kowa make.

Lin
Old Apr 10, 2003, 10:05 PM   #6

I slightly disagree. I've had the W/O DCL-28 and Scopetronix STWA-18PX. Both of these seemed a step below my pentax eyepiece. The main deficient area wasn't sharpness, it was color. The W/O and Scopetronix both seemed to generate pale photos compared to the Pentax eyepiece. I made this conclusion after a series of test photos (test photos were taken on the same day of the same targets while switching eyepieces back and forth).
I am by no means trying to imply anything negative about these eyepieces. They are a bargain for 2x the price. Replacing my Pentax (zoom) eyepiece would cost me $379 retail.
I should note that I use a Pentax scope, so maybe this has something to do with it. Maybe the two just get along better together while other scopes might not be the same.
Either way, you have to love the "adapter-less" design. How else could you get any closer? I'm currently working on converting my Meade 26mm Super Plossl into the same design on my lathe. I have some info on this on my site.
http://www.pbase.com/dj_hoffman/conv...eaded_eyepiece
Dj-Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2003, 11:56 PM   #7

Quote:
The main deficient area wasn't sharpness, it was color
Quite probably it has to do with coatings. The William Optics and ScopeTronix eyepieces are neutral, as designed for maximum compatibility with a broad range of optics. The Pentax 80 coating may intensify color with the Pentax eyepiece, but intensity is something which is easily delt with post capture.

I use both the ScopeTronix and William Optics DCL-28 with the Meade ETX-90, Swarovski ST-80 HD and Zeiss Diascope 85T FL. With each of these there is zero color shift and no perceptible difference in chroma saturation. I haven't used these eyepieces with the Pentax 80, but I do know that each of these eyepieces are neutral and that there is nothing about the eyepiece which would reduce saturation, so I could only conclude that the Pentax eyepiece increases saturation a bit because of coatings.

There are ample statistics available on each of these fine optics which show that they rank at the very top of the heap for sharpness and optical properties.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Apr 11, 2003, 6:55 PM   #8

Hi Lin - I think that I will be purchasing the Williams DCL-28 and the Swarovski adapter. I wanted to know if you compare the Swarovski 20-60x zoom set at 20x to the DCL-28 will I have a greater zoom back range with the Williams? With the Swarovski I have to keep the Nikon 990 at almost full zoom and it would be nice to back off of the zoom a little.
One other question. With the Swarovski adapter connected to a ST-80 HD how strong is the connection between the Williams and the scope? Once I hook the 990 with the Williams to the scope can this camera weight be supported by itself? I have the straight (ST-80 HD) version if this makes any difference.
Thanks in advance
Mike
Old Apr 11, 2003, 8:31 PM   #9

Hi Mike,

Absolutely yes!! You have huge zoomback capabilities extending from about 46mm to 115mm. The focal length on the Swarovski is 462mm so with the William Optics DCL-28 you have a 19.25x magnification factor (462/24 = 19.25). This then translates to an effective vignette free zoom range of from 885.5mm to 2213.75mm. Even at full wide angle, the vignetting is not extreme and you can easily crop out a large usable portion of the very sharp image. The purpose of the large exit pupil (ocular) on the William Optics eyepiece is to allow nearly a full range of zoom which is a tremendous improvement over trying to use the 20-60 Swarovski eyepiece. With the camera attached to the native zoom eyepiece, it’s necessary to use a large rubber band or other friction device to prevent the weight of the camera from turning the eyepiece, thus changing the zoom while you are trying to shoot. Very annoying, at least for me. Of course the down side is that with the 950/990 you don’t get the additional range you have with the 4x 995 or 4500 which go all the way out to almost 3000mm, but still you have an excellent range to over 2200mm and with crystal clear images.

The Swarovski adapter converts the receiver from Swarovski’s own design to a standard 1.25” barrel receiver which accommodates a wide range of astro-telescope eyepieces. The adapter has a very convenient thumbscrew which securely holds the eyepiece to the telescope. The William Optics DCL-28 is threaded to mate to the CP series of Nikon camera’s 28mm filter threads so that the entire package is quite secure and easily supports the camera.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Apr 12, 2003, 12:16 AM   #10

Thanks Lin - That was just the information that I needed. I just purchased these online from Anacortes. I will let you know what I think after I try them out.

As far as the 4x zoom on the Nikon 995 that would be nice. I have been looking to buy another 990 as a backup camera and for my girlfriend to use. The only thing that makes me lean away from the 995 is I have a RX Flash bracket that I mount a Nikon SB-28 on. I don.t think that it would clamp on the 995 because of the pop-up flash.
The other thing is the battery on the 995. I use NIMH AA's on my 990 and my flash. Of course the 995 uses 2CR5 lithium batteries. I have always wondered why Nikon changed the battery type.
Thanks again for all the good information.

Have a great weekend,
Mike