Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 18, 2006, 4:51 PM   #1

I have a FZ3 and am interested in getting into digiscoping. Can it be done with this camera? I have heard that ultrazooms don't work well.

Dumb question. If you don't use the full zoom, what difference does it make?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Treasuredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:39 AM   #2
DBB

Treasuredude wrote:
Quote:
I have a FZ3 and am interested in getting into digiscoping. Can it be done with this camera? I have heard that ultrazooms don't work well.

Thanks
Since no ones answered your question, I'll take a shot at part A.

Since this camera has a threaded lens, certainly you can hook up a telescope. You will need the proper adapters, but this presents no problem. As for Ultra-zooms, I realy don't know. I would imagine they would work. But hey, don't buy it on the basis of my say so. One thing is certain, since the aperture is smaller, you will have to shoot slower.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2006, 7:19 PM   #3

Treasuredude wrote:
Quote:

Thanks

You won't be happy with the results. There are a number of issue which ultazooms present which just don't work out well for digiscoping in general. First, there is the issue with the relatively large lens. When you digiscope you are essentially "looking through" the eyepiece of a telescope with your camera. Even with specialized eyepieces made specifically for attaching a camera, you need optical properties which are amenable to doing this. In general, large lens digicams just don't have these properties.

Cameras with tiny lenses such as the Nikon CP series (CP 800, 900, 950, 990, 995, 4500, etc.) and the Contax/Keyocera and even a few Canon models have properties which make them amenable.

Then there is the issue of the long zoom. Even with specialized eyepieces and cameras amenable to this, you must zoom in a fair amount to avoid vignetting (the dark border as if looking through a tunnel). The easiest way to see if your camera is amenable is to simply hold the objective up to the eyepiece of a pair of binoculars or a telescope and try to take some shots. Zoom in and out and center the objective (front lens) of your camera as well as you can on the center of the eyepiece. Set a fairly fast shutter speed and open up the aperture as wide as you can and take a few shots. Focus the telescope or binoculars first then let the autofocus on your camera do its best. Hold everything very still and if you have a timed release use it.

It's much better to try to find one of the amenable cameras if you really want to do this. Better by far than trying to work around all the myriad issue you will have with the larger lens ultrazoom. In the long run it will be much cheaper for you and you will get much better results.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2006, 3:24 PM   #4
DBB

Thanks for the corrections Lin. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut...

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote