Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 5, 2006, 2:30 PM   #1

Hello all. I'm totally new to digiscoping/birding but am interested in trying it out. What I'm hoping to find is help on a less expensive beginner setup. For example, I previously had a Nikon Coolpix 990 which many suggested the Kenko 8x32 monocular scope for a good inexpensive beginner setup (only I never got to it before). I recently got a newer Sony DSC-W7 (loved the 990, but wanted compatability with my PSP for reviewing) and would love suggestions on how to get a similar setup with that, hoping to stay under a couple hundred dollars. (I believe the Kenko was ~$150 with an adapter). The only thing I know for sure is that Sony says it requires an adapter (30mm I believe) which is one of those tube type, I'm assuming because it has a lense that pops out about the length of that adapter when it's turned on.
Thanks all for any help, can't wait to get started!
P.S., any suggestions also for thrid party wide angle lenses vs. the Sony brand ones? The Sony lenses seem to be about double the price of the others I've come across (Kenko, Crystal Optics, etc) so I'm wondering if they are really worth the extra price or if there are 3rd party ones that are just as good.
wesblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:47 PM   #2

wesblake wrote:
Quote:
Hello all. I'm totally new to digiscoping/birding but am interested in trying it out. What I'm hoping to find is help on a less expensive beginner setup. For example, I previously had a Nikon Coolpix 990 which many suggested the Kenko 8x32 monocular scope for a good inexpensive beginner setup (only I never got to it before). I recently got a newer Sony DSC-W7 (loved the 990, but wanted compatability with my PSP for reviewing) and would love suggestions on how to get a similar setup with that, hoping to stay under a couple hundred dollars. (I believe the Kenko was ~$150 with an adapter). The only thing I know for sure is that Sony says it requires an adapter (30mm I believe) which is one of those tube type, I'm assuming because it has a lense that pops out about the length of that adapter when it's turned on.
Thanks all for any help, can't wait to get started!
P.S., any suggestions also for thrid party wide angle lenses vs. the Sony brand ones? The Sony lenses seem to be about double the price of the others I've come across (Kenko, Crystal Optics, etc) so I'm wondering if they are really worth the extra price or if there are 3rd party ones that are just as good.
The 990 would have made a great digiscoping camera. The W-7 is an unknown as far as true digiscoping is concerned. The adapter which you need is indeed designed to allow the lens to telescope without bumping against another lens such as the 8/32 monocular (as you know the 990 did all that internally).

It really sounds like what you were intending to do was not really digiscoping but using a lower power monocular as a telescopic adapter.How well this will work with theSony is something you may want to test by simply trying to shoot through the eyepiece ofeither a telescope or a pair of binoculars. If you can zoom in to the 114mm 3x and have no vignetting (black border around image as if looking through a tunnel) then the camera may work for using a monocular typetelephoto adapter.

My suggestion would be to go to theEagle Eye site:

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com

and poke around an see if anyone has tried the W-7 with anEagleEye Opticzoom5x. This is a really nice lens which works very well with the Nikons and some other small lens cameras and may work with the W-7, but you will need the Sony adapter. To stay under you$200 budget may not be easy. Decent lenses are not cheap and the adapter itself may be around $30 (don't knowcurrent Sony pricing on this).

True digiscoping uses spotting scopes with your camera and produce focal lengths from around 1000mm to 6000mm. Using a monocular type lens with a 114 mm(your current maximum focal length) will probably get you close to 1000mm.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote