Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old May 23, 2003, 7:30 PM   #1

Default Please help me with some easy questions......

Hi,

I own a HP850 (same lens as the Fuji 4900Z).

I LOVE the digiscoping pictures I see over het web, however I'm a bit stunned by the sites from for example eagle eye.

I would not know what I need, I do have a conversion tube 52-55 from Raynox for the DCR1540, what do I need to get a digiscoping setup, I would love to get REALLY close to objects who are far away.

Please be gentle I'm totally new to this, and allready followed some links.

I don't have a telescope yet, are there things I have to take care for with that ?

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2003, 3:21 AM   #2

Frank,

I've put together a Microsoft word document on this subject. If you'd like a copy please eMail me.
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 3:33 PM   #3

A Dutch digiscoping group has started at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigiscopingNL
This may be a good starting point for you.
Good luck,
Andy
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2003, 3:58 PM   #4

Thanks, will look there right away.

Greetings,
Frank
Old May 25, 2003, 12:23 PM   #5

Hi Frank,
Definitely read all available material on the sites linked. To give you some brief advice, plan on getting a small lens camera like the Nikon CP4500 and you will be well on your way to being able to get great digiscoping images.

The larger lens cameras, though possible to use for this purpose, are not really ideally configured for successful digiscoping. The tiny lenses on the CP series of Nikon cameras work miracles when looking through eyepieces of spotting scopes.

As far as the scopes themselves, there have been excellent images taken through Kowa, Swarovski, Pentax, Leica, Zeiss, etc., as well as with the inexpensive astro-type telescopes such as Celestron and Meade. Depending on your budget, a starter kit would consist of a spotting scope which has neutral (no color tint) lenses, a camera such as the CP4500, an Xtend-a-View (2x Sunshade/Loupe) so you can see the LCD in bright light, and perhaps a remote release such as the Harbortronics DigiSnap 2000.

The Xtend-a-View and the Omni Mount (very important) can be purchased from:

http://www.photosolve.com

The DigiSnap 2000 from:

http://www.harbortronics.com

But wait until you have your camera to buy either because there are various models to fit specific cameras (Xtend-a-View and OmniMount).

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2003, 12:56 PM   #6

Hi,

For the time being it will be the HP850 with which I will be doing the photo's. At the moment I'm searching for a telescope which I can connect to the 52mm thread on my Raynox PLP690 tube.

I know a smaller lens will be better, but I want to try it out first.

Greetings,
Frank
Old May 25, 2003, 1:17 PM   #7

Hi Frank,

There are a number of mechanical adapters available from places like Eagle Eye in the U.K., London Camera Exchange (LCE), etc., which will connect about any camera to any telescope which uses 1.25" astro-type eyepieces. That would be telescopes like the Celestron C5, Meade ETX-90, etc.

The Pentax 80 uses the 1.25" astro-type eyepieces as well, but the Swarovski and Leica must have "adapters" to use different eyepieces.

You can always get step-down filter rings to attach to wide angle, large ocular eyepieces like the Max 40 from ScopeTronix, but you will likely have significant vignetting with any of these solutions and the large lens. You can, of course, crop from the reduced field (like looking through a tunnel), but you will have little or no zoom range making it difficult to find and frame your subjects.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2003, 7:31 PM   #8

Frank, i would listen to lins advice and look into a nikon cp series camera or some other camera with a smaller zoom(3x). I tried to use my fuji 602(6x zoom) with my pentax pf80ed and the pentax xl-28 eyepiece(18x) and believe me when i say that it doesn't work worth a Pooh! I could not produce one single usable image at full zoom or macro mode, it actually has less vignetting at wide angle, go figure. I'm going to sell the fuji as i haven't used it in 3 months.
PaulyOly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 5:40 AM   #9

Paul,

I know what you mean.
But most of my shooting will be normal shooting, I want the oppertunity to test digiscoping for a starters budget, max 650,00 that's arround $ 600,00.

My wife will protest if I have to buy a new camera .

I did find a SKywatcher scope for 550,00 with a 52mm thread, so it would fit my camera, I will be testing that in the next 2 weeks.

Greetings,
Frank
Old May 31, 2003, 10:00 AM   #10

Default RE

Frank, you may want to watch E-Bay closely, as I found a CoolPix 950 for under $200.00 US. It is not the latest and greatest, at 2 megapixels, but it has made my astro, and digiscoping much easier. I have had a threaded ring machined from aluminum to fit my Olympus C2500-L which has 43mm threads. I simply use 2 step rings to mate any of my 1 1/4" eyepieces to my Nikon, or my Oly. The system work quite well. The Olympus definatly has considerable vinyetting when using any eyepiece smaller than 40mm. However, the Nikon, does excepetionally well all the way down to 13mm Celestron Plossal. Just my 2 cents.

For other in the group, I have designed a simple 1 1/4" eyepiece adapter, holder, for fixed focal length T-mount Camera lenses. I can provide easy instructions for your own testing if intrested. I made this adapter to use on a generic 500mm lens. Using a 13mm Plossal eyepiece, this produces 38.46X. The image is also quite crisp, and plenty bright. I have also used this setup to view Jupiter, and the Moon. For terestrial use I have used both a roof prism, and a standart 1 1/4" diaginal.

Thanks for a great forum,

Casey OLY 2500, Nikon 950, Dynascope RV-6
rualert is offline   Reply With Quote