Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Digital Art (modified digicam images)

Old Apr 21, 2007, 2:23 PM   #1

I was editing some shots of my son's wedding and put together this edit, using an altar shot as the base....then pasting in a lasso selection from another shot of the bride and applying a spin blur to the base layer. What do you think?
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2007, 12:20 AM   #2

Trojansoc,IMHO ,the bride's body is not cut properly ,Edges seem to be too rugged(looks like unstudy hand,Solution:- Use extract command if you use "photoshop") Here I would like to suggest you to read the books or maczine by "Phil Kelbey".It is an eye opener for me.It may help you too that much I can assure you
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 4:39 AM   #3

Its a very good effort, it would have been a very good photo if you had taken more time over it,when you dothis type of editing you should zoom in and out all the time to see what you missed, and use the eraser to clean up.:|
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:33 AM   #4

mcliu and alex,

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment. Sometimes you don't see the forest for the trees. I spent so much time on working the intensity and positioning of the blur effect that I didn't even notice how jagged the cut was till you pointed it out. Although I use a graphics pad for fine work, an unsteady hand is sometimes a problem.

I have not leanred the Extract command in photoshop, so I will do some reading. I did this particular edit in Paint Shop Pro XI. Is there an equivalent command in it? I appreciate the suggestions.

Did the effect work? Was it too heavy? The idea was to get the radial blur to emanate from the couple, reflecting the swirl of emotions of the bride as she contemplates the marriage.

I am still very much a novice, but want to get better.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 6:42 AM   #5

As I said I think you done well, the dead centre I think should have been sharp, I don't know anything about shop pro xi so can't help there. if you use the extract filter in ps make sure you stay just inside of the line of the person that you are cutting out.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 7:41 AM   #6

I went back, did some reading on the Extract command and re-did the edit. Alex, I tried to get the altar shot clear while blurring everything else, but also brought up the facial focal point.
Attached Images

Old Apr 23, 2007, 12:36 AM   #7

Sorry Trojacsoc,I did not mention about the background.It is great. and works very well with the image.Now your picture is also improved,But there is one suggestion,Try to put shadow behind the bride,it will look more realistic,and natural( Try it once, you will be convinced).Here is my " rough taking"(Hope you don't mind)
Attached Images

mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 10:10 AM   #8

not a bad idea but i think the shot would have work if u just blurred the background and kept bridge sharpe.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"when u are doing anything like cutting the bride out zoom in and work big to get better edges, and take your time! i have done imilar things where its taken me maybe an hour to cut something complex out of a photo.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i like the idea of her contemplating the wedding while its happening behind her !

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:19 PM   #9

mcliu,

If I "minded," I wouldn't have asked for opinions, lol. I appreciate all suggestions.