Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Digital Art (modified digicam images)

Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:07 AM   #21

Yes Paul, your first shot comes up short. Its a different kind of OOB in that the cannon looks like it was never a part of the picture but rather shooting into a window of sorts with the far off background out of focus. Its really pretty clever and you have done a really good job but unfortunately most of the people looking at it wouldnt appreciate what you have done. Perhaps a before and after shot to compare so they would know. But I say well done.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 6:49 AM   #22

smac wrote:
Quote:
Paul I like the attempt and innovative thinking in the first cannon shot but it just comes up a little short for me. I think we need to see a little more of the cannon to get the proper perspective on the whole shot.
Steve, I agree with you. What I was trying to achieve was a feeling of the cannon aiming into the picture frame. Not having enough cannon in the foreground and the "target" being an out of focus tree-line left me less than satisfied, also.

This one would have been a much better candidate if the cannon had been turned slightly to the left, but I don't think the Parks Service would have appreciated my trying to improve my composition :-)

Paul
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 8:26 AM   #23

That is one helluva good OOB Paul. But it would be better appreciated if you showed what you started with.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 5:57 PM   #24

Bynx wrote:
Quote:
That is one helluva good OOB Paul. But it would be better appreciated if you showed what you started with.
Thanks for the compliment. This was taken at Shiloh National Military Park in Tennessee. The cabin is the only structure that is still standing that was on the field during the battle in April 1862, although a different home stood on this particular spot. (The home, ironically, was destroyed by cannon fire and the family moved this cabin from another spot on the battlefield.)

This is the original shot and is what Confederate soldiers manning the battery might have seen in 1862 before the cannons started firing.

Paul

(Edit: This is direct from camera with no edits of any sort, simply resized for forum.)
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:18 PM   #25

Hey guys...stumbled into your OOB creations and just had to stop in and say "wow"! Nice work with these. The eagle and cannon OOB's look great.

Here is one of my cannon OOB's from a while back:

I don't have any eagle OOB's but here is another bird:

Look forward to seeing more of your creations!
Serrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2009, 7:30 PM   #26

Well Serrator, your cannon shot demonstrates nicely how artistic one can get when creating an OOB. I keep seeing more and more clever ways that they can be presented. That cannon is excellent. Each different aspect gives me new ideas on different ways to go at this neat technique. Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:56 AM   #27

amazing work, everyone. this was my first shot. how is it?
Attached Images

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:58 AM   #28

Serrator wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys...stumbled into your OOB creations and just had to stop in and say "wow"! Nice work with these. The eagle and cannon OOB's look great.
Serrator, thanks for the kind words, and, more than that, thank you for the really outstanding tutorial. This is a truly fun technique to play with and yields some really spectacular results. I've looked through your OOB gallery on flickr and find myself more and more impressed with each photo.

Your interpretation of a cannon is spectacular.

Paul
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:02 PM   #29

second try... background was pretty dark, that was my tragic flaw....
Attached Images

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2009, 6:55 PM   #30

I played with a couple of OOB's today. The first is using a sea gull I shot three or four weeks ago.

The second uses a couple of camellias I shot this afternoon at the local botanical garden. I added a layer just above the gradient layer, brought in a second photo, then faded its opacity in the gradient section.

Paul