Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Digital Art (modified digicam images)

Old Feb 8, 2009, 12:48 PM   #1

Here is my first OOB

Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2009, 5:17 PM   #2

I've been having a blast with this technique since you posted the link to the tutorial in the Wildlife forum, Bynx. Thank you. The first of these is from a portrait shoot this weekend.

And, the second was playing with the effect on a basketball shot from my archives

Paul
Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:08 PM   #3

Thanks Bynx,I have to second Paul in that I am also having a blast with this new technique. Well, new to me at least.
First, let me say that I really like your street car scene Bynx and Paul your basketball shot is a perfect subject for OOB.
Here are several attempts of mine.
Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:09 PM   #4

An Eagle

Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:10 PM   #5

And my dog Bandit doing what Jack Russell's do. :lol:

Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:24 PM   #6

Hey you guys are doing a fantastic job with OOBs. Each one shows a slightly different aspect of it I never thought of. Like your first one Paul. To me an OOB has the subject in the box and popping some part out for a 3D look. Well that shot has the whole subject outside the box but it still works for me since its still 3D looking. Your next shot is something again. That guy just popped out of the box altogether and scored big with me. Steve, you are doing the conventional OOBs which just knock my socks off. All of the examples here have a real 3D look and not the old standard flat 2D look. Im sure if you show those kids the shots Paul they would be very impressed with them. By the way that eagle is a great shot made even more dynamic with that touch Steve. None of us has any reason to complain there is nothing to do. Find any old shot and give it new life. Steve one last thing. When something pokes out like the dog it seems to be standing on air. Perhaps a dark grey to light grey background would help. Then give the dog a perspecive drop shadow. The shadow would only be the part thats outside the photo and would give an additional realism to the overall effect. If I get time I will show you what I mean. And Paul could you please post the original shot of the kid on the grass before any cropping.

Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:11 PM   #7

Bynx, thanks for the comments. I'll have to go into my unedited files from the shoot I did Saturday. The reason I did the edit I did was that I thought the original was pretty boring. You ask if I show the photos to the kids. The photo of the young man in front of the ivy came from a semi-paid senior picture shoot Saturday afternoon, so he definitely got to see it. Some of the more conventional shots can been seen under the title "Eric" in the People forum. By the way, this is another look at the same young man on the football field. There is a serious flaw on his right shoulder that came from the very large shadow of a defensive lineman that I cut.

Since I was doing the shot purely as an experiment, I didn't go back and make it a truly clean edit. The basketball shot is an archive shot from last season and the young man is long gone. Question for you on your fantastic trolley car. It appears that you applied some form of digital painting to the back half of the bus and to the rest of the photo in the frame. It is VERY effective. What did you do?

Steve, the eagle is simply tremendous. I like the others, too, but the eagle literally flies off the page.

Paul
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:21 PM   #8

Bynx, I'm pretty sure this is the original photo. There were several shots taken in this basic pose, which came at the start of the shoot before Eric warmed up to the camera and the idea of a portrait shoot. You'll see why I did a pretty boring job of posing him.

Paul
Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2009, 8:33 PM   #9

Paul, that shot of the trolley car was rather an odd one. I found a street scene on google. I got a large a picture as I could get so it would fill the screen on my monitor. Then I took a metal Corgi model of a Peterborough Street Car and suspended it by fishing line in front of the monitor screen. I positioned the car and fine tuned with camera position so it appears the street car is actually in the street. Unfortunately the street is a San Francisco scene instead of a local Toronto scene. But I think it works out quite well. Now as to the effects on the back of the streetcar it is actually the monitor reflecting off the glossy paint. This added an incredible realism to the overall scene. So the whole scene was shot as a single shot showing both the monitor and streetcar. Taking that final photo I then created the OOB. Here is a shot showing my setup.

Attached Images

Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:31 PM   #10

Hey Bynx, Thanks for your critique of the dog OOB. I agree that the hind paws do look like they are just suspended out in space and your edit including the perspective drop shadow does wonders for the over all effect. Problem is, I don't have a clue how to do that...... yet. My knowledge of Photoshop CS3 is fledgling. I am still following the OOB tutorial page by page. It's starting to sink in and make sense.... a little. I will see if I can't read up on it because I think it would add a lot to this type of photo.
Thanks again,
Steve