Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Digital Art (modified digicam images)

Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:02 PM   #1

Default "Sphere within Sphere" by Arnaldo Pomodoro at UN in NYC

I'm not sure if this would qualify as digital "art" as it was effortless to make. I used Photomatix's "Grunge" tonemap.

C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:04 PM   #2

It is a bit over the top for me. But it is does look like a digital drawing.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:09 AM   #3

If you went for "otherworldly" you nailed it.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Super Moderator

i think the grunge over the top processing works well on this image. probably due to the subject matter, it makes that sphere look like something out of a scifi movie.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:53 AM   #5

Thanks a lot for the comments! Yes I guess I was going for "otherworldly" .

There are shots that to me are crying out to be manipulated in an otherworldly fashion, I can't explain why. Ordo's picture of a Chinese(?) man in another thread, for example, and so I loved what simple did with it.

I was initially reluctant to post -- it was more for my amusement -- but when I googled for images of "sphere sculpture UN", none really stood out (or "screamed for attention", I should say) so this, I guess, for better or for worse, is my humble contribution to the world wide web.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:08 PM   #6

In my opinion this would work much better if you desaturated the sphere. It conflicts with the rest of the image, more or less appearing out of place, as if you were bored and pasted it in. Mind you, the image does work, but I think it would work better if the sphere wasn't so "jarring" to the sensibilities

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:23 AM   #7

Nice. I like this better than the original.

The sphere is indeed "jarring" but for me, that's what makes it work and give it that other-worldly effect. The scene is only missing barbed-wire and military forces surrounding this thing, as if it were something out of a movie. Yeah, I like it.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:39 PM   #8

Thanks, Dave and AaronB.

Dave, I was actually thinking of the opposite of your suggestion which was to increase saturation. I didn't think of reducing saturation even just to see.

Below I reduced saturation and increased contrast. I think it does look shinier. I also used Bynx's tip that as long as you have enough area to clone you can clone out anything. So I removed the security guard and the ghosted woman.

I like the original, "jarring" version of the sphere, too, because I think it's more eye-candy-ish, so I'm actually torn.

Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Thanks, Dave and AaronB.

Dave, I was actually thinking of the opposite of your suggestion which was to increase saturation. I didn't think of reducing saturation even just to see.

Below I reduced saturation and increased contrast. I think it does look shinier.

I like the original, "jarring" version of the sphere, too, because I think it's more eye-candy-ish, so I'm actually torn.
I reduced the saturation to about the level you have, then decided that this strange image did work with "too much" saturation, but should be just a touch over saturated. A sort of inbetween your above, and the original.

Dave

Last edited by Mark1616; Mar 15, 2010 at 8:55 AM. Reason: Fixed the broken quote
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:48 AM   #10

Love it! Groovy....
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote