Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Digital Art (modified digicam images)

Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:47 PM   #1

The full moon was rising at a convenient time last night and I decided to have a little fun with it :-)

Here's a picture that is a composite of 2 shots taken with my Olympus c8080wz. The first shot was 10 seconds @ f/8.0 and ISO50 so that I could capture the tree and cloud detail. The second shot was 1/25 second @ f/8.0 and ISO50 so that I could capture the moon without it being blown out. Then I composited the second image on top of the first and the result can be viewed at the following url (a url instead of inline because of the 1024x768 size - sorry):

http://home.comcast.net/~ffoegs/jpeg...Composite4.jpg

I took a bit more license with my digital darkroom manipulations than what I stated above. Can anyone guess, just from viewing the image what stinky little thing I did? Hint: both shots were taken at 35mm focal length (about 140mm in 35mm equivalent terms, or 5x zoom on the c8080wz).

Geoff

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2004, 6:09 PM   #2

Nice picture! Way to shoot for the moon... pun intended.. bad pun, very bad pun.

I like looking at the picture but something just doesn't look right to my eyes...
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 6:24 PM   #3

discodudette wrote:
Quote:
Nice picture! Way to shoot for the moon... pun intended.. bad pun, very bad pun.

I like looking at the picture but something just doesn't look right to my eyes...
Yep, bad pun - I do it all the time myself :-)

As far as things not looking right... you're correct - there is something not quite right. It's what I was referring to as the stinky thing I did. If you look at the moon once again, you'll notice that it looks way bigger than it really should given that I was shooting at only 5x zoom.

When overlaying the moon image onto the background image, I realized that unless I enlarged the moon image to cover the blown out area surrounding the moon image in the background, it would look awful. In fact, it would have looked like this:

...and that would have made it look like the Moon with a corona around it like the Sun has!

Thanks for the comments!

Geoff

Old Jun 5, 2004, 9:41 PM   #4

Ahhh so THATS it! I knew it was something... I only wish the moon were always that big!

What is your zoom again? 5x? How did you get such detail on that? Nice pic! <<< I love that little guy <<
Old Jun 5, 2004, 10:36 PM   #5

Yep, 5x optical zoom is the limit on my camera, an Olympus C8080WZ. That yields a 35mm camera equivalent focal length of about 140mm.

You can see general features on the surface at this magnification but in reality the moon image takes up only a small portion of the camera's 8 megapixel image.

Now for some math:

At highest resolution (which the source for the image posted was using) the photo is 3264 pixels wide. The moon disc in the photo is only 130 pixels in width meaning that it only occupies 4% of the width of the non-cropped photo. In the cropped image I posted, the moon takes up 14.4% of the width of the image, meaning that I enlarged the moon disc 3.6x.

Ok, that's enough math for one day :idea: <-- and how do you like this little guy?
Old Jun 7, 2004, 9:04 PM   #6

Hey now! Is that fair! The day I get out of school to go do some complicated math? Didn't THINK so! Jeebus! j/k

And that face is awesome. ... :idea:
Old Jun 8, 2004, 9:22 AM   #7

Hey, discodudette, I apologize - I wouldn't want to make you use your grey matter when school is out! :roll:

Seriously, have you just graduated? ...or still working towards a bachelor's degree? What are you studying?
Old Jun 8, 2004, 6:55 PM   #8

When I first viewed the image, I thought you had cheated and used a picture of a lunar eclipse instead of a bright full moon. Most people who have never seen a total lunar eclipse don't realize that when the eclipse goes full, the moon turns a very eery orange color.

Looking at the bright areas around the edge of the moon, I thought you might have superimposed an eclipse image over an image of the sun.

Talk about imagination running wild...my wife says I watch too much Startrek! Lately it is more Stargate SG1 and Andromeda.

Great image, BTW.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2004, 11:17 PM   #9

Thanks, calr!

The reason that the moon in the image looks a bit dark and slightly orange is because it was only just above the horizon and therefore was affected by the atmospheric layers (pollution?) at that height.

I see you are in Beaverton. I'm just a hop, skip, and jump from you down in Wilsonville...
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:00 AM   #10

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
Hey, discodudette, I apologize - I wouldn't want to make you use your grey matter when school is out! :roll:

Seriously, have you just graduated? ...or still working towards a bachelor's degree? What are you studying?

Haha I only wish! School is out for the summer. I have yet to get my bachelors!

What am I studying? Meh the norm... biology, honors alg II/trig, german 31, Journeys through literature, and World History... and I signed up for painting, drawing, and photography for my arts classes.. but I don't think I will get any of those because the seniors get first dibs, and they always steal the good classes!

Anyways... SCHOOLS outfor summer! Schools out for EVER! Schools been blown to pieces.... I love that song...

Hee hee... I don't act like I'm a college student! I act like I'm a second grader!!! (A very immature one at that :-S)

Amy/Amerson/Amelot/Amybibbleapatoohey/whatever else you wanna call me...