Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Digital Art (modified digicam images)

Old May 11, 2005, 12:47 AM   #1

Okay, it's the the mauve one, just behind the main green one, & to the left....& maybea couplecopies. I did various bits of highlights and shading etc. as well.

Best wishes, Caroline

Attached Images

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2005, 6:33 AM   #2

LOL !

I think that's an intersting work, Canna W, and I like the composition in the way you have provided depth to it.
brtsergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 7:54 PM   #3

Hi..

nicework...

you made that at home?!! may i have some... hehe..
there is little spots on the black backdrop (like some kinda dust)...

would like to know the story behind the lonely red candy :sad:

trademarxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2005, 11:13 PM   #4

Thank youSergio and Trademaxz for the input!

Trademarxz, thanks for pointing out the 'dusty' backdrop - it's very helpful for me. I actually photographed the sweets on some thick bumpymaterial with a heavy texture, but it didn't work out well,so I brushed the darkest bit of the background all over the pic.

I think I need to brighten my monitor a bit, as it looks pure black to me.

I did this a while back, but I think the red sweet was for real :?. A bit lonely on his own.

I have other sweets to do. Nice things to photograph.

Best wishes,

Carolin e

LATER... I can see the dusty bits....

Old May 14, 2005, 6:51 AM   #5

A useful trick for seeing ( and hence remove)those spots in a very safe way is to add an Adjustment Layer with Brightness.Contrast and place the Brightness at its maximum.

When you are done with those spots just remove the adjustment layer.

P.S. : try also to use a soft brush to erase the lowest parts of the candies just above the one in foreground : this will soften the aliasing .
Old May 14, 2005, 3:13 PM   #6

Sergio,

This looks an incredibly valuable piece of information for me, but I've been trying for a while and can t get it right. It is simpler to work with another similar pic I took at the time...

Basic pic.
Attached Images

Old May 14, 2005, 3:19 PM   #7

Problem - to get rid of the bobbly material and cover it with black.

Second step, I made a duplicate layer.

Third step, I made an adjustment layer as you suggested, and using contrast/brightness, turned up the brightness setting to the highest it would go.

And I'm afraid I am stuck at the third step. It looks like the image below. I can't apply the brush to this layer - it just seems to rub out the adjustment layer. (I clicked for the black/white colour options this time round, clicked on the black, and just chose the straight brush tool, not the cloning stamp.

Further info. would be very helpful. Many thanks. Caroline.

Attached Images

Old May 14, 2005, 4:55 PM   #8

Ok Caroline, the layer you have to edit is the original one !

The adjustement layer is only a mean to make small spots more evident on a black background.

You then have to go to the original layer, erase or clone stamp there, and when you are done your delete the adjustment layer.

In this post you may find a complete explanation of this technique :

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...nd+in+basement

at the replytitled :

Removing-A-Dark-Object-On-A-Dark-Background-HOWTO
Old May 14, 2005, 5:10 PM   #9

Note, however , that that technique is mainly meant to ease the detection of DARK objects on DARK backround.

In your second shot, which, btw, I like, the background is not so dark !

I you want to remove it there are several techniques.

However, since there is a big difference in brightness bewteen the backround and the candiesI suggest you to try this one :

- use an airbrush with a black ink to make the areas far from the candies black ( or select big zones and erase them ) : this step will darken a rough contour around the candies

- now use the burn brush tool

( http://www.arraich.com/elements/ref/tool_burn.htm )

with a soft (0% hardness) brushof about 25 Pixel for your shot

and set the range

to shadows ( not to midtones as in figure ) and use an exposure of 80%.

Now try to follow the candies borders ... you will notice dark areas ( the carpet? ) will become darker and darker while white ones will not be affected.

Try to experiment with different brush sizes and exposures ...

You can also use the adjustment layer set to max brightness todetect if some dark object has remained.

The following is the result of some burnbrushstrokes just to give you an idea of what you can get with this technique :

Attached Images

Old May 15, 2005, 1:00 AM   #10

Sergio,

You have no idea how much all this has helped me!! Both your instructions here and the links were hugely helpful. Ever since I got access to a diggy and PSE, I've wanted to be able tocheck photo-editing andpossible visibility of the marks I had made - but I was literally in the dark. The only way I could do it (& this was very unsatisfactory) was to get a print done & look at it with a magnifying glass!!!!

Before I go off and follow up the technique you have so kindly given for the orange dolly mixture sweets, I shall post a pic of 'work in progress' with the original pic.

The adjustment layer (contrast/brightness option) has been added, so all the faults are showing. I have been working on the basic layer below it, with, as you said, my alterations showing on the adjustment layer above.

On the right, are my amendments (possible to do now I can see the problems), on the left, the pic as posted originally.....where Trademarxz picked up, even in the darker/normal version, little dusty hints of the material that had not been cloned out properly.

Thank you loads! Caroline.

P.S. thank you also for your note re thejaggies. Now I can see them properly I can sort them out!

Attached Images