Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Digital Art (modified digicam images)

Old Jul 3, 2005, 6:33 AM   #21

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
thanks Steve - even though i hijacked your thread.

Happy 4th
Not at all nlp, I didn't post this for everyone to go "ooh &aah", and then not have a go themselves !!

It's great to see other versions and I want to see more, (you listening Rose ).

Well done Walter, mybank account no. for my commission is, 1234.......................:lol:.

And yes, we celebrate Independence Day in the UK too. We call it Thanksgiving :blah:.

Regards,

Stevekin.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:29 AM   #22

Pretty cool effect..

I really like your second one..Steve

I'll have to give it a try sometime..

Where did you find the tutorial for this?

Nice job on the flag..Walter

I have used Photopaint for years now, but just recently switched to Photoshop.

I still miss some of Corels features..nice program to use. Just so much more info

and plug ins available for Photoshop. And Photoshop has some nice features that Photopaint 12 doesnt have as well..If only you could combine the two:?
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:21 AM   #23

Meiko wrote:
Quote:
Pretty cool effect..

I really like your second one..Steve

I'll have to give it a try sometime..

Where did you find the tutorial for this?

Thanks Meiko. I do too, but as I said, I'm a little biased as I took the shot. Also though, I think it is less cluttered than the first which I did using the image and tutorial from a Magazine I get here in the UK called Digital Photo, (original eh). Their tutorial called for this many sectionsin the final image, but I think it looks better with fewer. And as you can see from the other images, you don't have to restrict the size and shape of each section.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 11:24 AM   #24

As a couple of members have asked about the tutorial for this technique I decided to put finger to keyboard, (well 2 fingers).

If anyone gets stuck please ask, I may have missed a step or made a mistake :-).

1. First, open the image you want to create a Joiner from. Resize this image to the size you want the finished Joiner to be, for example 800x600 pixels for viewing on the web, or 6"x4", 8"x10" etc for printing. Go to Image/Image Size, check constain proportions and enter a value of 800 pixels in the width box. The height will be entered automatically. Enter a value of 300 pixels in the Resolution box, click ok. (If you find your selection to be too large or too small adjust the selection values to suit.)

2. Now create a blank document, this can be any size you want depending on what you want to do with the finished item, but I suggest you make it the same size as your original image for the first attempt. Go to File/New, then click on Custom and scroll to the bottom and your open file name should be there. Click this then click OK.

3. Select the Rectangular Marquee Tool and in the options bar at the top of the screen change Style to Fixed Size. Now if you have your new document set to 800x600 pixels, for example, I suggest you type into the Width box 200 and the Height box 150. This is assuming you have Rulers in the Preferences dialogue box set to Pixels.

4. With your original image showing and your New Document minimized and the Rectangular Marquee Tool selected, click once in the middle of your open image and, because you have set the tool to Fixed size, you will have a selection box already, no clicking and dragging.

5. Copy this selection into memory by pressing Ctrl + C on your keyboard, then open the New document and press Ctrl + V to paste your selection into it.

6. Now, back to your original Image and, with the Marquee tool selected again, click on your image to make a new selection that overlaps the first selection. Move the selection around by clicking and holding inside the selection and dragging it to where you want it. It doesn't have to be precise. You could, if you wished, keep all selections in the same orientation, but to make it more random right click inside the selection and choose Transform Selection. Drag one of the corner handles to rotate the selection however you would like it to be. Press enter on the keyboard or click the bold tick at the top of your screen to accept the transformation.

7. Now repeat step 5. Ctrl + C to copy, then open the new document and press Ctrl + V to paste.

8. Select the Move tool by clicking on it or pressing V on the keyboard. Now move the second selection into place, lining it up to match the first one. Do this by freehand, (dragging with the move tool), then you could use the up/down/left/right cursor keys to nudge it exactly in place if need be.

9. Repeat these steps for the rest of your selections, remembering to rotate the selections occassionally to randomize the end result.

10. Once all of your selections are in place, go to each of the new layers in turn and bring up the Levels Dialogue, Ctrl + L, and move the sliders for input levels to change the contrast, so each layer will be slightly different. If you have, say, 12 layers, do this to maybe 9 or 10 of them. The remainder will stand out because the surrounding ones will have changed.

11. Now to add a shadow to help increase the separation between the sections of your image. Select one of the layers and doble click on it to bring up the Layer Styles palette. Click on Drop Shadow and move the Distance slider to around 11 pixels and the Size slider to around 21 pixels. If you like what you see click OK to apply the shadow.

12. Now go to Layer/Layer Style/Copy Layer Style.This copies the settings into memory so we don't have to enter them for each layer.
This works because we now Link all the layers, except the background layer, by clicking the link box next to each layer. In CS2 click once on the top layer then hold the Shift key and click on the bottom layer, (not the background), this highlights all the layers and activates the link button at the bottom of the layers palette. Click on the link button to link them all together. Now go to Layer/Layer Style/ Paste Layer
Style to Linked. The shadow effect should now be applied to all of the sections of your new document.

13. When you have finished flatten the image, Layer/Flatten Image and save it. Done !!

14. Not quite, 13 is unlucky for some so for no. 14, I recommend you first save your image as a PSD file. That way you can go back and change anything if you want to.

Feel free to modify any of the suggested settings, size and shape of selections, strength of Drop shadow, contrast etc.
Have fun and please post your creations when done.

Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:51 PM   #25

Thanks Steve..

Well here is my first attempt, I like this effect.

Not something you use every day, but its nice to have a variety of things you can do that aren't your everyday type of effect.

I prob should have spent a little more time on it, but I was just playing anddont think it looks too bad..

Thanks again..
Attached Images

Old Jul 3, 2005, 6:56 PM   #26

Meiko

Very nicely done. Looks like you're already up to speed on this technique.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:29 PM   #27

Steve's forums really rock!!!

I get so much information here, from the most helpfull and skilled people....

Every time I read through the forums and look at the pics, I get so inspired..

I just cant say it enough..Thanks to everyone on this site!!!

Old Jul 3, 2005, 9:20 PM   #28

Meiko, nice results - imagine if you had more time.

Walter, couldn't agree more - I like the place but the setup is very difficult without the next previous.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 3:12 AM   #29

Meiko, for a 'just playing' attempt, I can't find any fault with this one .

'Just playing' is the best way to understand and learn different techniques. You have kept this image simple with only 5 sections. But it does not detract from the effect at all. In fact , and I say it again, I think these images look better with fewer sections than are in my first attempt.

Now, for fun, just expand on the variables. A few more sections, different sizes, more contrast changes etc. It's all up to you.

I agree with Meiko, this is the best site of it's genre. I'm learning something new all the time 8).

Kudos to all examples !!
Old Jul 4, 2005, 12:36 PM   #30

Okay, I thought this would look pretty cool, but I dont know if I like it now...

Maybe I should have stuck with more of a square selection..

What do you guys think???
Attached Images