Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Digital Art (modified digicam images)

Old Nov 28, 2005, 8:23 PM   #1

Here is a somewhat wild balloon shot (or manipulation!). Try to guess how I did it. I'll give the answer in a day or two if no one had figured it out.

Note--I did not use layers.

Cal Rasmussen

calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:33 PM   #2

Cal,

At the risk of being theone to look like and idiot, I'll venture a guess. You layered your RGB channels, varied the transparency and shifted them slightly in different directions.

dale

PS: Maybe I should have tried it before I said something. OOPS! Too late I already hit the send button.
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:58 PM   #3

No transparency involved and no layers. I will say that it was made from two separate but similar images.

Cal

Old Nov 29, 2005, 10:03 AM   #4

It almost looks like you used some sort of 3D effect. Should we try to dig up some red and blue glasses?
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:36 AM   #5

You could try 3d glasses but it would probably just give you a headache! You mentioned RGB channels earlier. Yes, RGB channels are involved.

It is a very simple technique which can produce some unusual results. I just read an article in Pedersons Photographic from earlier this year and decided to try it.

Cal

I am moving this thread to the Digital Art forum. It is really not appropriate for here.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 6:46 PM   #6

Doesn't everybody have 3-D glasses by the computer ? ? ? I tried it and it and it does flatten the image a little. Not 3-d though... You guys really don't have 3-D glasses ? ? ? Well then maybe I shouldn't mention the Groucho funny nose and glasses I keep by my computer.... Ya never know...

dale
thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:42 AM   #7

Here is what I did. I started with two similar images of the baloon trio. I split each image into RGB channels. I then replaced the red channel of the first image with the red channel of the second image and recombined the channels. By doing this, it gives a ghostly red copy of the second photo superimposed on the first.

In the article I read, they show an example of shooting three shots of a waterfall or a windblown tree. Then they split each to RGB channels. They then took the red from the first photo, the blue from the second photo, and the green from the third photo and recombined. It produced a very unusual image with multicolor confetti in it. You could try various combinations of the RGB images to see which gives the best effect.

I am going to try the technique on a fountain spray in a community pond a short distance form where I live. I just need to wait for a break in the weather.

Cal