Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Digital Art (modified digicam images)

Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:16 AM   #1

The fast development of computer technology and the internet has changed many things in our daily life. We can easily find everything we need, from groceries to cars and everything in between. It can all take place in the blink of an eye, and we take many things for granted which were beyond our imagination 10 years ago.

These modern technologies have changed our life style, but have they also changed our view on art and the art format itself?

Instead of being in front of the easel, spending time painting with brush and oil, pictures can be made using computer software and a mouse in only a few minutes. This can be demonstrated by the potential to allow vast time and labor consuming art work to be simplified and easily produced. An example of this would be the animated cartoon industry, where computer animation is slowly replacing the traditional cell method.

In addition to it's useful role in film production, one of other advantages of digital art is that it has helped people with little skill, experience, judgment or perspective to create fairly sophisticated-looking and often interesting images. The fact that less training is often required to work in this creative world is one of the reasons that more and more people are moving towards it, in their goal to become an "artist".

However, in the eyes of traditional artists whether this kind of work could be called "art" is still in doubt. Some artists worry that in the future people will become so dependent upon this tool, that they may eventually lose their ability to use oil colors to create the magic.

But even digital art still needs the training and skill used in traditional painting. Like some famous abstract artists, many digital artists are also capable of painting realistic depictions in oil.

Digital art is more than just computer skill, it is the integration of artistic talent and computer technology. Making a great painting in a digital format is as same as making it on the canvas, requiring the artist to have the same creative design, passion and skills; it can be seen as just another powerful tool to express yourself. A great painter/draftsman can use the same skills in the digital format, of course learning how transfer these skills to a computer is also essential.

For me, as an art graduate, although I use computer in my daily life and work, I still prefer to rely on my natural abilities to draw, design, and paint pictures. I still prefer to use my brush, knife and oil to make myself dirty in front of my easel for several hours or even days and weeks. I still enjoy the moment when the knife touches the canvas, and the satisfaction at the moment of the final touch.

About the author: Cherry Xu is an Art Design graduate, and a teacher and practitioner of traditional Chinese art. She works as the Director's Assistant at
Aspect Art Ltd.
cherryxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:46 PM   #2

Cherry

Not sure what your point is.

1. Those of us who post here and don't have formal training (i.e. oils, watercolor, etc.) are to be exposed as imposters?

2. Anything created with other than traditional tools cannot be considered true art?

3. We should be content with what comes out of our cameras and not manipulate it into something else...and call it "digital art".

4. Cameras and computers are dangerous, and a threat to everything we hold sacred, especially in the wrong (ours) hands.

I'm confused.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 4:00 AM   #3

Art (in the English language) is a term that refuses to be easily defined, but we know it when we see (orhear orread it).
OinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 4:36 AM   #4

cherryxu wrote:
Quote:

About the author: Cherry Xu is an Art Design graduate, and a teacher and practitioner of traditional Chinese art. She works as the Director's Assistant at
Aspect Art Ltd.
does she drive a car?...fly in a jet?...or use a cell phone?...

hypocracy comes cheap...the world is full of elitest snobs...
roy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:06 PM   #5

Cherry

Slam...bam...thank you, maam!

Was that all it was for you...a one night stand (post)?

Come on, girl. Let's hear some more. Better yet, how about posting some of your art work for others to enjoy. Maybe we can move on to a more meaningful relationship here.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 5:14 AM   #6

ease up guys

Cherry's is an interesting ramble that brings up many of the basic questions about just what 'Art' is, especially as to the media with which it is created and the degree of craft applied to its creation by the artist.

It is futile to look for a division between Traditional and Digital. The elements required to move a crafted object (a lyric, thrown pot, drawing, photo, etc.) from mere craft to art remain the same universal principles. The medium may change and the crafting tools may change but the intrinsic involvment of the artist in capturing a vision and producing a new, one of a kindobject remains the same.

How traditional were electrified musical instruments in the 1940's. Remember when Dylan 'sold out' by going electric. Should Moog have thrown away those transitors and stuck to traditional chamber music

The images in the photography of Ansel Adams could certainly have been produced by the traditional carbon sketch.

Perhaps the thread that riles some of the readers is the tone of elitism. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.An uniformed, unexaminedopinion is not entitled to be automatically respected. If by elitism we mean the ignoring and/or denigration of uninformed input then so be it. Perhaps the level of culture and art beyond Popwould be better served, if more of us were elitist. With that barb, let me now retire to skim the pages of Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
OinO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 9:12 PM   #7

Walter C wrote:
Quote:
Cherry

Slam...bam...thank you, maam!

Was that all it was for you...a one night stand (post)?

Come on, girl. Let's hear some more. Better yet, how about posting some of your art work for others to enjoy. Maybe we can move on to a more meaningful relationship here.
I think this was probably a post just to try to drum up traffic to their site. This person, for all their high and mighty rambling is not selling their own "art", but selling reproductiond of someone elses art. Such a great artist you are Cherry with that scanner and printer of yours!
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 10:38 AM   #8

Not only reproductions, but not particularly accurate reproductions. Check out the samples near the bottom of her page- the colors are -obviously- way off.
AlienSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 8:49 PM   #9

Similar concerns were made when some people stopped grinding pigment and mixing it with plaster but mixed the pigments with linseed oil instead. These concerns were raised again when some "artists" used watercolors as a finished medium instead as a prelude to an oil painting.

The human need to express thoughts and feelings through various art forms will remain as long as people exist, the tools to do so will change from time to time.

Whatever traditional method you are using today, whether it be brush painting or pot throwing, the same arguments were used against it when it was first introduced. Digital art is traditional Art, it is the tradition of change.
philby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:46 PM   #10

Art is taking an individual perception of reality, and somehow externalizing it, so that others can share it.

How that happens is incidental to the communication.

It is that sensation, that perception that counts. If it is communicated well, it is good art. If not, it fails.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote