Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Drivers (Wanted or Found)

Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:34 PM   #11

I am feeling a bit stupid at the moment. In my own defense, I get on a track, I tend to get tunnel vision. I consider myself slapped! I see the light.
Biostar GF7050V-M7
Core 2 duo E4300
1gb (2x512mb) PC5400 667hz DDR2 SPD SuperTalent
80Gb WD HDD 7200rpm
Plus I've got an Athlon XP 2400+ dual boot (just to see if Ubuntu would read the camera.) and a Plll 733 Win XP PRO running So I can pretty much pick and choose how I play. I have all 3 crunching numbers 24/7 for a major health research program out of Stanford U.
I've got XP PRO confined to 10gb's so I could chop off another 10 and turn that over to Ubuntu.
So whats this about a virtual drive with windows on it? where would be a good place to start researching it? I like the sounds of that!

Darn my tunnel vision! I'll just slap Ubuntu on the XP 2400+ machine. He's got a 20gb HDD he's not useing much of. No fuss-No muss. Nothing wrong wit me that a good kick in the pants won't fix!
All this fuss-because I am useing XP, I bought it to use in XP, And I installed it in XP. I was going to make it work in XP!!!
PorPorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:57 PM   #12
Administrator

If you want to run Windows in a Virtual Machine under Linux, I'd probably use the Core 2 Duo and add some RAM (you'll need to have as much as the host OS + as much as the guest OS needs to run comfortably). It looks like your Biostar GF7050V-M7 has two DIMM slots and supports overclocking if you go 800mhz RAM, and it supports newer Quad Core CPUs if you wanted to upgrade it later, too. You can pick up a 4GB kit (2 x 2GB DDR2 800) for under $80 now.

2 x 2GB (4GB Total) DDR2 800 listings at newegg.com

If you remove the filters for those listings, you can get a single 2GB DIMM for under $40 (and you'd have one slot free to add more later after pulling your existing RAM).

As for running an operating system in a Virtual Machine, there are lots of ways to do that now. Here's one free product (and you can also do it the other way around and run Linux in a Virtual Machine under Windows, but hardware specific drivers may not work that way).

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox

Some products can make a VM image from a physical Windows install now, too. Here's one example:

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 7:11 PM   #13
Administrator

Here's another solution (allows you to install the latest version of Ubuntu without it needing a separate partition, if you have free space in an existing Windows NTFS partition). This would still be a dual boot configuration.

http://wubi-installer.org/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 7:35 PM   #14

Thanks guys! With all problems and dilemas, if you can find the right person and ask the right questions, well got to put on my BBQ apron & bartender hat! I was going to buy the beer but you don't have that emoticon.:shock:
PorPorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 1:23 AM   #15

Hi, I"m new here. Anyhow, I was browsing these forums to see if anyone else had a Vivicam10 and I lucked up on your thread. I was given one as a gift 6 years ago. I have the driver needed on an old computer that is full of viruses so I can't retrieve the driver needed. I called Vivitar but they sold out to Sakar and neither one has the driver that I need. I'm at my wits end. My wedding pictures are on this camera and I have no way of getting them off . I was wondering if you could email me the driver. Maybe. Pretty please. If you can.
riyanyghte is offline   Reply With Quote