Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Drivers (Wanted or Found)

Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:48 AM   #1

I have a thread here that died, the people who answered-well meaning and appreciated- didn't have the knowledge to figure this one out I'm useing XP PRO SP3
Here is the problem:I know nothing about digital cameras. This was supposed to be point & shoot. Fat chance.
I bought a Vivitar Vivicam10 digital camera on ebay. It's a dual camera called DSE I think? Still and video. No readers, memory is internal.
I recieved only the camera. I obtained drivers from Vivitar and install them. The camera is not displayed in My Computer or Manage Drives.
Hardware manager recognizes both the still & video camera. (labels them seperate cameras and says they are loaded and functioning properly. Control panep>Scanners & Cameras recognizes only the still camera and says it is not function properly.If I take the next rung up the software ladder to I go to Windows Live Gallery and it doesn't see a camera at all.
There have been 2 possible reosons/solutions given on this and another forum. The majority bail out to the easy answer-"That's what you get buying cheep on ebay."
The other is buy another piece of software.I'm not going for either one of those as a solution.
The key to this is why does hardware manager not only recognize it ,but gives it a green light. There is a glitch betreen device manager and where it;s plckrd up by Scanners an Cameras.
I got courious so I put another drive on a different machine, dual booted with Ubuntu. Guess what. The camera can be eleminated as suspect.Unbuto reads it just fine.
Where to begin tackleing this one.?

P.S. I've complely uninstalled camera, drivers,software,cleaned the regestry 2 seprate times with no results.

PorPorMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Administrator

So, just use Ubuntu instead of Windows if it works. ;-)

Most Linux distributions make use of the gPhoto2 library to interface with cameras that are not Mass Storage Compliant (and many image editors, viewers, etc. in Linux use this library).

I see where it's got experimental support for some of the Vivicam series cameras. So, your model probably uses the same protocol. Chances are, it's a proprietary protocol (whereas many cameras are USB Mass Storage compliant or use PTP for image transfers instead).

So, you'll probably have to rely on Vivitar's driver to talk to it using Windows, and you may also need to use Vivitar's software to interface with the camera's driver (I'm assuming they shipped software with the camera).

You may want to try some of the free software around like Google's Picasa to see if it would work with Vivitar's driver in Windows.

http://picasa.google.com

It's also available for Linux (though it's not native and makes use of work with Wine to run). But, I think the Linux version uses the gphoto2 libraries (libgphoto2) to communicate with your camera.

http://picasa.google.com/linux

Note that we have a Drivers (Wanted or Found) Forum setup to help members find working drivers. So, I'll move this thread there now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 12:16 PM   #3

What does Vivitar's Technical Support say?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:18 PM   #4

I just read the manual for the ViviCam 10 (see http://www.vivitar.com/ecms.aspx/a25...10Manl-Eng.pdf), which, from your first post, is the camera you're trying to use.

The driver for the ViviCam 10 is a TWAIN driver, so it doesn't support the kinds of things that other digicams can do. In order to see your images, you must retrieve them within an application that supports TWAIN. That is, applications that support an "Insert Picture..." command, such as Microsoft Word. You haven't mentioned trying to use any applications that support TWAIN, so I suggest you try that. The ViviCam 10 manual specifically mentions ArcSoft PhotoImpression, which is $49.99, but the free Irfanview also supports TWAIN.

As for videos, the software from Vivitar is an application called "AVI Maker". It seems this is the program that can communicate with the ViviCam 10 to convert it's proprietary video format into .AVI files that are widely used on computers.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:20 PM   #5

JimC,

No, I didn't receive any drivers. I went to Vivitar and downloaded the drivers and manual. The manual, as most manuals are was pure vanilla. Where the buttons are, what their function is that kinda thing. You might have lead me down the path I need to go so thanks I was out of options. I'm not going to tie up a HDD with Unbuntu just to run a camera.

Tcav,

I stopped dealing with tech support 15-20 yrs ago. Just the words bring a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn't worth much then and you might say it's better now but I'll tell you what is better than some foriener that I can barly undrerstand trying to instruct me in Computer 101- Thats forums like this one worked with Google and you can find out just about anything, The only real hard part is asking the right question. JimC gave me a lead-time to go tracking.
Even if it didn't sound like it, thanks for your post as well.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:38 PM   #6

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I just read the manual for the ViviCam 10 (see http://www.vivitar.com/ecms.aspx/a25...10Manl-Eng.pdf ), which, from your first post, is the camera you're trying to use.

The driver for the ViviCam 10 is a TWAIN driver, so it doesn't support the kinds of things that other digicams can do. In order to see your images, you must retrieve them within an application that supports TWAIN. That is, applications that support an "Insert Picture..." command, such as Microsoft Word. You haven't mentioned trying to use any applications that support TWAIN, so I suggest you try that. The ViviCam 10 manual specifically mentions ArcSoft PhotoImpression, which is $49.99, but the free Irfanview also supports TWAIN.

As for videos, the software from Vivitar is an application called "AVI Maker". It seems this is the program that can communicate with the ViviCam 10 to convert it's proprietary video format into .AVI files that are widely used on computers.

Avi maker doest load.states "no cif image to create avi" I just assumed that was camera speak for I can't se no camera.
I need to go through the program I do have that seems to do what you are talking about, thats Windows Live Gallery. If it supports TWAIN -I'll be back soon either way
Old Jul 5, 2008, 1:50 PM   #7

PorPorMe wrote:
Quote:
Avi maker doest load.states "no cif image to create avi" I just assumed that was camera speak for I can't se no camera.
Does your ViviCam 10 contain any videos? If it doesn't, that could be why you get the error message.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:08 PM   #8

No videos-It only has pictures by accident! lol
This is what I've gotten so far thought you could pull some info out of it.

The Extensible Metadata Platform or XMP is a specific type of extensible markup language used in PDF, photography and photo editing applications. It was first introduced by Adobe Systems in April 2001 as part of version 5.0 of the Adobe Acrobat software product. XMP can be used in JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, and TIFF. In a typical edited JPEG file, XMP information is typically included alongside Exif and IPTC data. The Windows Photo Gallery offers support for the XMP standard. Here is a short list (all of these are available on XP today):
Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, and others
iView MediaPro
Extensis Portfolio

Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:50 PM   #9
Administrator

PorPorMe wrote:
Quote:
I'm not going to tie up a HDD with Unbuntu just to run a camera.
You wouldn't have to. ;-) Just keep it on it's own partition on the same drive you have Windows on. It shouldn't take up that much space, and you could read and write to your NTFS partition so that Windows apps could use the files (ntfs-3g works fine for that purpose).

Just use GParted (the partition manager included in many Linux distros) to shrink your existing NTFS Partition (or use Windows Disk Admin to resize it if you're running Vista).

Then, used Gparted to create a small Linux Swap Partition (2GB is what I use) and an ext3 partition for Linux and install it on the same drive. Most can fit in a 4GB or smaller partition (Ubuntu only requires 4GB).

I usually make mine around 12GB or so for the root OS for plenty of expansion room (I've got multiple ext3 partitions setup with multiple Linux distros right now, on the same PCs with Windows). If you don't have much space left to shrink your NTFS partition much, go smaller instead (and there are lots of lightweight linux distros around now, too).

What kind of PC do you have? I'm thinking about setting up my PC where I'm running Windows in a Virtual Machine under Linux, so that I don't need to reboot to use Windows when needed.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2008, 4:11 PM   #10

PorPorMe wrote:
Quote:
This is what I've gotten so far thought you could pull some info out of it.

The Extensible Metadata Platform or XMP is a specific type of extensible markup language used in PDF, photography and photo editing applications. It was first introduced by Adobe Systems in April 2001 as part of version 5.0 of the Adobe Acrobat software product. XMP can be used in JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, and TIFF. In a typical edited JPEG file, XMP information is typically included alongside Exif and IPTC data. The Windows Photo Gallery offers support for the XMP standard. Here is a short list (all of these are available on XP today):
Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Bridge, and others
iView MediaPro
Extensis Portfolio
XMP is good, but if the application doesn't support TWAIN, then it doesn't help you.