Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Drivers (Wanted or Found)

Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:14 AM   #1

I have an old AOL PHOTO Cam. Where can I get or download the driver for XP? I went to their wesite and tried to download it and it gave me a program called "iSpy.exe" which I assume is not correct.
lfshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2004, 9:48 AM   #2
Administrator

Well, I checked on the Pretec site (the manufacturer), and they don't show Win 'XP drivers. They only show a "Win XP Upgrade Kit" which is basically a CompactFlash Card Reader.

I did find a site that claims to have a Serial Driver for XP, but USB is apparently not supported under XP by the manufacturer. Here is the Serial Driver:

http://members.driverguide.com/drive...riverid=125756

Here is the Pretec download site. You'll notice that the only thing offered for XP is an upgrade kit (and you can buy a less expensive card reader somewhere else):

http://www.pretec.com/driver_download_center.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 3:57 PM   #3

Thanks JimC. Is there a certain kind of CompactFlash card reader I need to get to be compatible with the AOL PhotoCam?
lfshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2004, 7:54 AM   #4
Administrator

lfshadow wrote:
Quote:
Thanks JimC. Is there a certain kind of CompactFlash card reader I need to get to be compatible with the AOL PhotoCam?
No...

Now, you must be using a CompactFlash card to store your photos (versus the internal memory in your camera). So, if you don't havea CompactFlash Card, you'd need to get one. These come in all different sizes. Prices have dropped a lot. So, you can probably find a 256mb CompactFlash card for around $25.00 now.

You can find USB 2.0 Readers for under $20.00 almost anywhere (Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.). If you use the price search engines, you can sometimes find multi-card readers (able to read CompactFlash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, Secure Digital, etc.) for under $20.00 now. So, if you get one able to read all memory types, and you buy a camera that uses a different type later, you'd already have a reader.

Some of the dedicated cards (one memory type only) plug directly into the USB port. Some use a cable. I personally prefer the ones with a cable, but others use different types.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote