Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Drivers (Wanted or Found)

Old Jan 14, 2006, 10:22 AM   #1

I have 2 card readers and can not use them to windows98 without driver.

I spend 2 days alresdy looking for drivers on Google, but did not find one that I can use.

Apacer MegaSteno 2.0

USB 2.0 7-in-1 Card Reader P/N : MH000.291

The second Card Reader is:A-data 9 in 1 Card Reader

Model No: CR-V10-U9I

Serial No: ATG40513608

I also found this under the name:Meritline 9 in 1 USB Pocket Card Reader
GunGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 14, 2006, 5:25 PM   #2

Take this advice for what it's worth:

Get rid of your WIN98 computer. Every time you go to add a new peripheral or upgrade, you will have very buggy results and will spend a lot of time trying to band aid everything to get it even half way working. I speak from experience. I am the type of peson with cars and computers that I nurse it along until it just won't work any more. Up until 1-1/2 years ago, I was nursing along a WIN 98 computer. Every time I got anything new to interfacewith it, it was a huge frustrating struggle. The best thing that ever happened was that the motherboard finally crashed, and I was forced to go out and buy a new computer with WIN XP. It was a day of liberation for me. You obviously have a monitor. You can go to Circuit City or Best Buy and for $600 get a surprisingly packed computer - it will probably have all the interfaces, including memory card slots and USB and Firewireportson the front face, DVD burner, etc. etc., etc.

That's what I did (HP Pavillion) - Lincoln has freed the slaves!

Like I said: FWIW...
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 8:59 AM   #3

I already have XP, but I need drivers for win 98 when I want to take picures to my friend who still have win98 and also hates Internet
Old Jan 15, 2006, 10:16 AM   #4

OK - no problem. Simply give my advice to your friend. Decisions (good or bad) have consequences (good or bad)
Peva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2006, 12:25 PM   #5
Administrator

I see Win '98 drivers for the Mega Steno 2.0 here on the manufacturer's web site:

http://www.apacer.com/en/support/downloads.asp

I haven't located drivers for your A-Data (a.k.a., Trio) card reader. But, the product description on the manufacturer's web site shows Win '98 support.

http://www.adata.com.tw/en/products-f-per-06.htm#

Other drivers from A-data are here (I just don't see your card reader drivers there):

http://www.adata.com.tw/en/downloads-driver.htm

Note that sometimes you can get the drivers from MS when adding new hardware (let it search online for them, too).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:09 AM   #6

For my Apacer MegaSteno2.0 does not work on windows 98

I can install the driver, but after restart and I plug in the cardreader Win98 asks for

.inf-file and can not find it on the driver installation

The Apacer works on XP

As for A-data card reader I can not find driver on adata.com.tw products or downloads

I also tried Microsoft update to find driverbut no success on windows98, and no success on XP
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:35 AM   #7
Administrator

I don't have any suggestions other than contacting the manufacturer.

As cheap as card readers are now, you may just want to buy a newer one that shows Win '98 compatibility (and make sure you don't lose the driver CD). ;-)

Or, try Linux instead of Windows and see if it sees the readers.

A good free distro is SiimplyMepis. It can be run from a Live CD, so you'd know in advance if it sees them OK, before you ever need to install it.

It will also allow you to resize your existing windows partition to make room for Linux if you want to go "dual boot" with it.

A brand new Release Candidate was posted this morning (SimplyMEPIS 3.4.3 Release Candidate 2.1). Here is the download link:

Simply MEPIS 3.4.3 RC 2.1 ISO file

Here is the checksum:

md5sum for SimplyMEPIS 3.4.3 RC 2.1

My wife is running 3.4.3 Release Candidate 1 right now, and I'll upgrade her to the latest release candidate later today, even though she's running fine on the first one).

Trying it is simple. Download the .iso (close to 700mb) and burn it to CD (and you can tools like the free version from http://www.deepburner.com to do it if you don't have something already).
Then boot from the CD and you're up and running (use username root, password root, or username demo, password demo).

If you decide to install it (and it is slow from CD, so a hard disk install is really preferrable), you'll see an "Install Me" icon on the desktop. It also has a partitioner built in that lets you resize your Windows partiition if you want to make room for Linux, and it will install in a dual boot configuration by default if it sees Windows.
My wife switched from Windows to Linux back in March of last year, and she prefers SimplyMEPIS to Windows. Here's a screen print from her laptop. I managed to get it running in only 64MB of RAM, including loading GIMP (a powerful free image editor). I've since upgraded her to 256MB of RAM.

http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/imag...4/original.jpg

Here is a review of the older 3.3.x version I switched her to last year (and the "look and feel" of the latest 3.4.x release candidates is the same).

SimplyMEPIS review

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 5:26 PM   #8

Tank you JimC for all good advice.

I have e-mailed to Apacer European Service, And I will e-mail to A-data,

but for now I have to work.but I hope to come back to my computer in a month or so

I will surely post the driver here when I find a working one

I will also try Linux.

Goodbye and see you in the future Best Regards GunGum
Old Jan 19, 2006, 10:45 AM   #9

just read this

why dont u take ur camera and software to your mates and tranfer pics from there instead of a card reader

it should be gaurenteed to work that way or pop images onto cd?
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 5:29 PM   #10

What if I want Pictures and files from my friends huge collection.

my cameras memorycard has only 64MB SD Memory Card

OK, burn on CD

But my friend has CD-reader but no CD writer

I simply wants my Cardreader to work as I can easily take it anywhere in my pocket

and with flashmemories of 512MB 1 GB and even 4GB I can easily transfer as many files as I want.

Thank you anyway for your kind thought. GunGum