Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Software > Drivers (Wanted or Found)

Old May 28, 2006, 10:30 AM   #1

Hi,

I have DELL Inspiron 600m with Windows XP home edition.

I bought Canon digital camera "PowerShot SD600" yesterday and installed the "EOS Utility" and "ZoomBrowser EX" from the CD provided by Canon and re-started my computer.

When I connected camera (switched on and in PLAY mode) to my PC, I heard a "beep" indicating that an external device has been connected to the USB port and the camera's display screen turned black.

However, when I launch "ZoomBrowser EX" and want to connect to the camera to download the pictures, a warning window pops up saying: "Cannot detect camera - check connection to camera then retry".

What seems to be the probelm? Can someone help me?

I forgot to add:

1. When I open Windows device manager it does display the Canon icon and says that device is operating properly.

2. When I click "Control Panel" and select "Cameras", I can clearly see the Canon device listed and it also says that the camera is enabled and functional. As a matter of fact I even clicked on "Perform diagnostic test" and the test completed successfully.

Thnks.
kunato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2006, 11:26 AM   #2

When you turned on your camera, did Windows XP prompted you to select a program to associate with the camera? (e.g. options listed should include CameraWindow, MS Word, etc) If yes, and you selected the CameraWindow option, did a new window display that contains buttons and operations such as downloading all pictures, direct camera transfer, etc. etc?

If the answer to the second question is no, then you might want to check this post:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...t=camerawindow

I bought my SD600 on May 26 and encountered a similar problem. True enough, the solution suggested in that post worked for me.

On a final note, can you access your camera using Windows Explorer when you connect it to your PC?
rpacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3

Hi,

The answer to your first question is NO, and this is precisely what makes me worry.
Usually when I connect any type of hardware to USB port, a window pops up and prompts me "Which program should be used to open the programs".

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks
Old May 28, 2006, 12:13 PM   #4

I forgot to add:

1. When I open Windows device manager it does display the Canon icon and says that device is operating properly.

2. When I click "Control Panel" and select "Cameras", I can clearly see the Canon device listed and it also says that the camera is enabled and functional. As a matter of fact I even clicked on "Perform diagnostic test" and the test completed successfully.

Thnks.
Old May 29, 2006, 8:03 AM   #5

do u see new icon in "my computer" for the camera........xp should see it as a new drive, you should be able to browse the pics and copy them to your hard drive, i gotta olympus e300 but dont use the software thats came with it i just get pics of my card and save to drive then do what ever needs doing with photoshop, by default i think if u click on a pic itll open in windows picture viewer anyway

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 11:05 AM   #6

Hi,

Thanks for all your responses.

I have pnpointed the problem.

The problem was Canon's installation disc that automatically installs TWIN driver on a pc running Windows XP. Btw, TWIN drivers are INCOMPATIBLE with Windows XP.

Although Windows XP should be compaible to read Canon SD600 through PNP, it still needed the WIA driver, which, after it was installed, resolved my problem.

Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:14 PM   #7

Hi,

Could you tell us thelinksto get the XP WIA driver for SD600?

Thanks!

toneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 8:34 AM   #8

http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/powershot.html
Old Oct 13, 2007, 9:45 PM   #9

i used that link, but it doesn't work. it says "xp driver not found. aborting"
dep9130 is offline   Reply With Quote