Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old May 30, 2003, 9:12 PM   #1

Default HiTi 630 series: what am I missing?

Greetings folks -

A funny thing happened on my way to get a Canon i950 printer to complement my new Olympus C4000 - I decided to take a quick look at dye-sub printers, and stumbled into info and reviews on the HiTi 630PS/PL.

These printers got glowing reviews here, at imaging-resource, and at megapixel.net. Outside of one thread here mentioning blueish tones, all other posts here and in the newsgroups, seem to rave about these prints.

And the current price of the PL is $130; direct from HiTi I can get the 630PL and 5 packs of 50 sheets for $230, about the cost of the Canon i950 alone.

This all seems just a bit too good to be true, leading to this post. With inexpensive, as-good-as-photo-lab prints, an easy to setup and use machine, a great price, it seems as though these printers would've taken the home photo print world by storm, and yet there aren't that many postings around, not nearly as many as for any given inkjet.

So, what gives? Is the company about to go under? Anyone know how many of these printers have been sold? Clearly if the media & ribbons vanish, there doesn't seem to be any third-party manufacturer option.

I'd appreciate hearing from any and all who have this printer. If I've missed any reason not to get it, please let me know that too. And, if there are other forums where dye subs and this particular printer are discussed, I'd like to be pointed to them.

Thanks -

Ken Platt
Kplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2003, 4:38 AM   #2
NHL

Ken

Take the plunge, you won't regret it. This printer will be the talk of any party! In fact it brings back the memory of a Polaroid, and also remind us why such a corporation went belly up with the advance of digital... They are having a clearance just because of the newer models (ie 640 etc). BTW you'll also save gas (and time) by not having to drive to Costo or WalMart (or wait in line) for the prints, so think about it. 8) 8) 8)
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...381&highlight=

With regards to your doubt, its called marketing/distribution channels. Kind of hard for a small foreign outfit with no name brand to compete for shelf space against big advertising budgets hey? Beside if it's so economical for you, how would the other guys make any money on the ink/paper by stuffing their shelves (I wouldn't shoot myself in the foot would you)? :lol: :lol: :lol: Beside folks only post when they have a problem... Everyone like myself must be satisfied with the HiTi then!
I can't wait the day when someone get smart by stocking this HiTi consumable at a local store, but until then I can load up with the current rebate...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 8:43 AM   #3

Ken

I received mine for Christmas and it is an amazing printer. I just uploaded new firmware, driver, and application updates this weekend. HiTi has provided excellent for an excellent printer. You can check www.********.net. The PL is selling for $110 and the PS is $173. They are also selling photo packs for about $18. I have really found a new level of satisfaction with the 630PS. I really believe it is worth the extra $70 for the PS model.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 8:00 PM   #4

Default Details on what's worth the $70 for PS to you?

Ok, you've convinced me (wasn't hard) and I'm going to place an order. I had been planning to go with the 630PL since I was thinking I'd attach the printer to my PC and pretty much leave it there. However, I don't want to regret "going cheap" later, and as a newbie I might not have thought of possible great uses for the PS's standalone function or other added capacities. Which aspects of the 630PS do you feel are worth the $70 extra? Also, do any of the PS other functions make it easier to use for a semi-technophobe (not me, but the other main intended user)?

Thanks -

Ken
Kplatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2003, 8:14 PM   #5

I take the printer to the church to take pictures for special occasions for pre kindergarten class. I do not have to lug around a laptop. The 4 and 5 year old kids are amazed as they watch the printer process the photos. I think it is a geeky thing. Just call me the "GEEK".
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2003, 2:38 PM   #6

I have a couple of questions about this printer.

Does the printer just print photos or can I use graphic program jpegs and print out drawings?

Is the printer jpeg photo limited in size or what is the maximum sized jpeg file the printer will take?

How good is the resolution of the printer? Will it print legible very small type?

Is the printer limited to the photo paper the company supplies or will other paper work?

The reason I ask these questions is because, as a side-line, I make decals for models. If this printer would take decal paper I would almost be in heaven.
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 6:43 AM   #7
NHL

Quote:
Is the printer limited to the photo paper the company supplies or will other paper work?
It only works with its own paper and supplies... IMO it won't do the decal
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote