Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:39 AM   #1

hi i am new to sublimation and have just baught an epson d88 a continuous ink system with normal ink and 4 bottles of dye sublimation ink.

ive drained the continuous ink system but i think there is still some ink in the cartridges. how can i get rid of all the ink so i can put the dye sublimation ink in?

any help appreciated
tambareen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2

The easiest way would be to get a new set of empty cartridges from the CIS supplier.

Getting all the ink out of already filled carts (and you'll most likely need to -- the two are probably chemically incompatible) is next to impossible.

Note if the printer has been run with dye ink and the heads are filled with it, you'll also have to thoroughly flush all the ink out of them as well, so you'll probably need to look for a way to do that — getting a chemical reaction there would probably wreck them.

Having said that, you could try mixing a small amount of the two inks in a container and watch the results — if they remain fluid and no lumps or curdling (you'll need to watch the sample for a day or two) appear you're probably OK, but even so it will take quite a number of prints/head cleans before all the existing ink disappears.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote