Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jul 25, 2003, 3:38 AM   #1

Default Kodak 8500 & Print Sizes

Ok, this may seem really stupid, but do you have to use full 8x10 paper when printing?

I want to print most photos as approximately 4x6 and, on occassion, 8x10. Do I have to use full 8x10 paper or can I switch paper sizes like many printers?
twesterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2003, 4:05 PM   #2

^
I would like to know this also.

Thanks in advance,

Boots...
Boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2004, 12:19 AM   #3

The 8500 has A4, Letter (8 1/2 x 11) and 8 x 12 papers, but the ribbon always images an 8 x 10 inch area. You need to use a paper cutter for pro mounting, and a 4 x 6 is an expensive and wasteful use of the 8 x 10 ribbon.

Canon makes a nice 4 x 6 dye sub (CP-330), but it's not quite up to the Kodak in quality. However, the 8500's $1.88 per print can't complete with less than 50 cents for the Canon.

BTW, I own one of each, and they each are invaluable for their application area.
toonerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 8:37 PM   #4

WithA4 and 8.5x12 papers, you get true 8x10 images... so therefore you should be able to get three 4x6 borderless photos per page if you lay them out properly.

I've been meaning to download andtest QImage, soI decidedto doyour homework for you -- and ended up doingmyself a favor at the same time.

If you chose three 4x6s and don't specify a border, you get exact 4x6s.Just make sure you choose photos whose borders don't look the same so you'll have some sort of visual clue as to where to cut.

If youselect 4x6s and specify a 0.1" border, you'll get three3-13/16 x 5-13/16prints... so you lose 3/16ths of an inch in each dimension. And obviously you can adjust that border to create a line just wide enough to separate the photos to make them easier to cut... just remember that whatever you select as a border will come off your final photo size.

I will definitely register QImage, but you can play around with it for 30 days before you have to.

Cheers,

Don

QImage is at http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/
Don Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:30 PM   #5

Depending the software you are using you can print 3 4X6 or 2 5X7 pictures in the 8.11 paper, I use photoshop 3.0 but I use Microsoft Digital Image Pro 9, where you can select how many pictures you want for page, so you don't waist any paper, for my work ( and I have the sony sv-55 and sv-77 ) but the Kodak is beatiful pictures.

amatheu
AMATHEU is offline   Reply With Quote