Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Aug 13, 2003, 1:57 PM   #1

Default Is the HiTi troublefree?

I had been out of the loop for some time thinking there was no suitable dye-sub printer for the price I wanted. Then after after seeing advertisements for the Sony EX-5 I came looking here where I see everyone seems to rave about HiTi 630s.

While you all seem to truly like this printer, and by now you have had several months to play with them, I just want to ask if the 630PS or PL are pretty reliable in their operation? Any breakdowns or glitches in printing? Anything to watch out for? :roll:
daboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2003, 4:19 PM   #2

I have went through 6 packs (50 photo per pack) of HiTi photo supplies with no problems. I have purchased a cleaning kit, but have not found the need to use it. If you purchase the 630PS or the 640PS be sure to download and install all patches and firmware upgrades before you start to use the printer. I carry the printer with me when we travel so that I can print on the road. It has been through several airport screening machines with no problems. I have had several friends purchase one and all of them love the printer.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 4:44 AM   #3

Where can I find the cheapest place to buy the paper (online)? By the way, does the paper for 630ps match the 640ps as well?
Thank you.
iiwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2003, 12:11 PM   #4

Yes they both use the same paper. Buy your paper and printer at www.newegg.com

Paper packs $17 plus shipping.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...cription=630ps

The 630ps sells for $169 at the site at the above link

The 640 ps sells for $254 at this link:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1

Hopes this helps
Old Aug 21, 2003, 3:35 PM   #5

I've just received my 640PS - installed & updated the firmware. The prints look really nice, but a bit "faded" - probably, it's low saturation or narrow dynamic range... Do you know how I can handle this issue? Should I make any "ICC profile"?
iiwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 4:41 PM   #6

I use software to adjust my prints. You can use the edit button on the printer to adjust brightness for your prints. You can also email HiTi.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 7:22 PM   #7

gibson, may I ask which software you use? Do you have a quick procedure for most of your prints or do you work with each and every print with such software? Thanks in advance.
ShaneMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 8:16 AM   #8

I use Photoshop 7. I usually only adjust those prints that I feel that lighting and contrast need some adjustment.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 12:58 PM   #9

Gibson

Do you think that the approximate $100 difference between the 640 and 630 is justifiable. If you know, that is.
Another question I want to ask you is how easily can you carry it in your luggage or handbag? Do you carry it in its original packing box or without it.
Thanks
Kiriakos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2003, 1:49 PM   #10

The 640 ps accepts more memory types and produces 400 dpi print quality. I would not sell my 630 ps because my media works in the printer and I am extremely pleased with the 630 print quality. Hope this helps.