Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Nov 21, 2003, 7:52 PM   #1

Default HiTi 300x300 v. 403x403 dpi

Perhaps Phil will know, have you seen/tried the 640ps printer? If so, do you detect quite the difference between photos printed with that printer v. photos printed with their lower end (300x300 dpi) models?

I'm just curious and appreciate any opinions on this.
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2003, 7:16 AM   #2

I wish I could help but have not know anyone with the new printer. You can go to Hiti web site and they will send you a sample print from the new printer.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:50 AM   #3

I have the 640 PS printer and love the quality 4 X 6's I get. I have a Fuji 300 dpi printer and I know the 640 PS produces a much nicer print. I do not think you would notice too much of difference in quality at 4 X 6.. Colors and durabilty exceed inkjet prints.
I believe I read the 640 can handle larger print files? Most of mine are around 6 megs.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 1:59 PM   #4

Phil, I had received a photo from HiTi and am assuming it was taken with their 403dpi printer.

Had I the presence of mind, when requesting a photo-I would (and should have) asked for 2 photos, one taken with their lower end model and the other, the 640. Hind-sight...always 20/20 vision.

At the time, I was curious but not serious. Since then, I've seriously considered the HiTi and am looking into one. I'll be sure to post when I do (get one) and what I think.

Ross, which camera do you have? I have the Canon G3. This shouldn't be too much for the PL, should it? I'm thinking not, based on seeing what camera Phil is using.

The only other dye sub printer that appears better (as for size of prints) is the Oly 440 but I hear the costs of operating that printer is "hefty"

I did hear tell on dpreview message forums that HiTi is looking into producing a printer, cabable of printing larger photos. The 670 pl slated to hit the market next year? I'll be keeping my eye out for that.

I hadn't heard of HiTi until I came here, glad that I did.

Thank you for the information, it's always appreciated!
Old Nov 22, 2003, 6:38 PM   #5

Hi once again...I have several makes of digital cameras and like each one for what they can do...when I take a good picture, I would rather say.."I't came from my vison and not the camera."
I have worked in camera repair and now customer service (not mentioning) the company for 20 years. I have friends from Minolta, Nikon, and Olympus....just down the street here in California...and like all of things they do!
Getting back to the "HITI Printer" .."Great Printer" in the 4 X 6 size in anything you wish to print! I sometimes see something on the net I would like to keep and refer to....just copy and print. Usually comes out great. I suggest you read "Steve's Review"....he is usually right!!!!
I bought mine from B&H Photo...one of my customers...Fry's Electronics....I buy my media...
Happy Holidays and picture taking to all,

Ross
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2003, 7:15 PM   #6

Quote:
I have several makes of digital cameras and like each one for what they can do...when I take a good picture, I would rather say.."I't came from my vison and not the camera."
I like what you'd "rather say" :lol:
True, a bad photographer can take a crappy photo with the best of cameras and a pro photographer can take a great photo with a "cheap" camera.

I only have one digital camera, all that I can afford. Initially I was eye-balling the the Oly 30-40 but when I was able to afford it, it disappeared. My choice then narrowed down to Sony 717 and Canon G3. I didn't consider the Mavica, I didn't like the design and I also wanted to try something other than Minolta, beings it was the last PS camera I had. The pictures were fine, I just wanted to try another name.
Manual options were important to me but will say, I have some learning to do yet!

I see Sony is coming coming out with an 8 MP for under $1000. It'll be interesting to hear the reviews, as well as see sample shots.

*UPDATE* on HiTi printer, I just purchased one: the PL model. At $120. I figured that I couldn't go wrong

I still intend to get an ink-jet and more than likely the Canon i960...unless something "wow" comes out the first quarter of next year.
In the meantime, the 4x6 will suit my needs and I am very curious about HiTi. If I am very pleased with it, I intend to share pictures and info with family & friends looking for a good printer.
Information is near nill in my community (remote island) regarding "modern" technology.

I have seen a sample photo from HiTi and was impressed as was I with their prices. My mother in-law has a photo printer (HP unsure of model) and when I put one of her pictures to the water facet...colors ran off immediately. Picture gone in seconds! In doing this with the HiTi print, nearly no affect. So, I am happy;-)

B&H, I went to their site lastnight and couldn't get on for anything. I considered Fry's (my grandmother in-law lives near Sac.) but decided not to put her through the trouble of picking up the HiTi, followed by sending it via USPS.

Anyway, I am rambling :roll:

Quote:
Happy Holidays and picture taking to all
Thank you and same to you Ross,

~Kate
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:25 PM   #7

Kate

The limit on photo size is when you are printing directly from the media to the printer. However, I am the new owner of Nikon 5700 and I print from the CF card and have had not problems with the 630S. At 1 120 dollars the 630Pl is the best buy on the market. I know you will really enjoy the printer. Be sure to download all the firmware updates and program updates before you start using the printer. Great shooting and printing.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2003, 3:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Be sure to download all the firmware updates and program updates before you start using the printer.
Thanks Phil, I have seen you state that in another thread, so while I was on the HiTi site, I checked the download section to see what to expect. Thank you.

When you print from your PC; are you able to print from another editing program?

Quote:
Great shooting and printing.
Thanks, that surely will follow!
I see that I will have to purchase paper from B&H as they have the standard price of $20 w/ the most reasonable shipping costs.

Have you ever printed on the sticker sheets? That looks like something kids would mostly enjoy.

I better get on the ball and order a few extra boxes of paper...sure to be on a printing spree :lol:

Thanks again for the recommendation and information. Hopefully I will have the printer here in 10-14 days.

~Kate