Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Dec 22, 2003, 1:00 PM   #1

Default Should I get a Canon I960 or Dye sub printer?

I want to be able to print nice 4x6 and 8x10 pictures that will look really good. I am either going to get a Canon I960 or a dye sub one however I dont know which dye sub to get or even the pros/cons.

Can someone help me decide what to do because I am not sure what the benefit or cost to having a dye sub would be.
SnowPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:28 PM   #2

If you are looking towards a dye sub printer capable of printing up to 8x10, you may want to look at the Olympus P-440. Currently I am unable to find pro reviews for this printer but am sure they'll be coming out soon. You may want to see the reviews on the Olympus P-400-to give you an idea.

The Olympus P-440 is expensive and the cost to operate will be expensive, too. However (I think) if you want quality printed photographs...I think dye subs are the way to go.

Jet printers on the other hand, are cheaper and you have the options of using different papers. I hear mixed reviews though on the quality of ink-jet prints (dependent on the printer make & model) and print longevity.

Currently, I only own 1 printer: a dye sub-Hiti 630PL. Capable of only printing 4x6. Awesome little printer!

I am considering the Olympus P-440, for the capabilities of printing larger [dye sub] prints.
However, I'm given much thought to the upcoming Epson R800-a pigmented ink jet printer.

If the reviews on the R800 are glowing, I just may opt for it. I like the idea of being able to use different papers.

Having the HiTi and an ink jet printer will give me the best of both worlds. The combined costs would be near equal the cost of owning the Olympus P-440. 2 different printers for the price of 1.

As a note, when looking at ink jet printers, I too first considered the i960 but am now leaning towards the Epson. Currently I am awaiting an updated, thorough pro review on the Epson R800. I'm not going to "leap" before I see and hear more results.

What do you really want from a printer and how much are you willing to pay? Questions you must first ask yourself.

Good luck!
informativetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:32 PM   #3

Yea seems like all of the dye sub are really exspensive (at least $500) which is more than I want to spend. I am really lookin to spend around $200 so it seems that dye sub is out. I think I will just go for the I960
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:42 PM   #4

Dye sub printer pros:

1) continuous-tone images (no dots)

2) no clogged heads-dye subs use ribbon, not ink.

3) applies a protective overcoat. <--my HiTi does and suspect that all dye sub printers do?

cons:

1) only able to use paper provided for that printer

2) cost-only if you own the Olympus. My HiTi is very economical, at about .40 cents per 4x6

Any other cons? Not that I can think of!
Old Dec 22, 2003, 3:46 PM   #5

We must have been posting at the same time

As a note, the HiTi 630PL can be had for about $120.

If you want larger prints, more paper options and $200. as you spending limit, then the i960 would seem a very good choice for you.

Amazon has the i960 for $179.94 and free shipping. I've heard good reviews on Red River papers, as well as the Epson papers.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 4:13 PM   #6

Yea the Red River seem to be the way to go. As for the longevity of the prints there is some concern. Is there anything that can be sprayed to save some of the more "special" pictures?

Of course there is always just backing up the picture and reprinting but I am just wondering.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 11:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Is there anything that can be sprayed to save some of the more "special" pictures?
I have heard of this but not the person who knows. You might pose this question to the, "printing general" forum that is listed under, "Software".

Good luck.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 3:21 PM   #8

I have read about this product but have not used it and here is a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/...EIJFSG/REG/862
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:42 AM   #9

I posted this on the "Ink Jet" forum but have not received any replies:

Quote:
Have seen some discussion in these forums about spray coatings for inkjet photos but when I checked them out they are extremely expensive.

Was just doing some research and found the following:

Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Gloss

This is a lot cheaper and should be available locally - hardware store, etc.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about using this spray on photos.

Thanks.
I just checked the BH Photo link posted by ginsonpd3620 but they will not ship those products - as I live in New York City where they are located I may look into it further.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote