Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:55 AM   #1

Default Canon CP770 stalling & refusing to print - help & suggestions wanted

G'day all

Background -
I use a Canon 4" x 6" portable printer in my training workshops to print student images for side-by-side comparison & critique during classes

We travel country Australia, running photo-workshops sometimes out on cattle stations, more often in small towns with a small photo store

The printer I have at the moment is the 2nd one I have had - it was purchased about 3 months ago ... the 1st lasted 12 months then died - the ink cassette transport failed. The old printer AND the new printer both have the same "funny" printing characteristics

Other info -
1) print volumes are low, we're printing [or trying to print] about 50 images a weekend, and we do 20-25 weekend workshops over a 32 week year
2) we are often away from city centres so commercial 'on-the-day' printing is rarely possible
3) storage in the motorhome is limited, so a printer capable of larger sizes of paper is not wanted

Printing & Problems -
Images selected for printing are copied from either of 2 laptops onto an SD card which is inserted directly into the printer. Over the last 18 months 3x SD cards have been cycled thru the printer. These cards are of 1GB & 2GB capacity. In about 1/4 of the time, as soon as the SD card is inserted into the slot, the printer powers OFF

Should the printer not power off, the main menu comes up on the little screen, we do a 'select all' then 'print all' command and the printer starts printing .... image #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6 and then stops. Today we got to image 13 of 40 before it stopped
Back to manual print mode ... select image 15 > print > it freezes
Try image 16, 17 whatever > same result

connect printer via USB cable, print from laptop, select next image on list, printer freezes

Select last image [ie #40 today] > it prints
select #39 > prints
select #38 > prints and so on backwards to 28 then totally stops

There is absolutely no way to get images #15 to #28

The laptop doing the printing [when we connect] is an Acer running Vista, 32bit. Printer driver is as-is off the supplied CD - and I presume that a printer & driver dated 2010 should be okay

So ... while I have tried to describe the 'comings & goings' of the little beastie, I hope that you can follow my descriptions
If you have one of these little beasite's - do you find anything similar??
If you have any thoughts on things we can try - please help

Thanks in advance
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2011, 9:39 PM   #2

Phil - I have a CP780 which is presumably very similar. I had endless problems with it trying to print pictures from my computer & ended up using only an SD card that I inserted into the printer - and moreover with only one jpeg file at a time on the card. I was using Windows 2000.

Recently I switched to Windows 7. To my surprise Windows 7 recognised the printer right away and installed whatever driver it needed. Now the printer works fine whether I use an SD card or print directly from the computer. The only thing I have to watch out for comes from having two printers - the little dye sub CP780 and a bigger S500 ink jet. I just have to make sure (when printing from the computer) that I'm sending the print command to the right printer.

It makes me wonder if your problem comes from using Windows Vista. A lot of people seem to have problems with Vista.

Last edited by Herb; Aug 25, 2011 at 9:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 3:57 PM   #3

G'day Herb

This item is so old I had given up on getting aby response - so thanks for your thoughts

As the printer was giving problems using a SD card direct and also via the computer we didn't kow where the issue was
However, we took someone else's advice and downloaded a 'fresh' driver from the canon web site when the printer was connected to the laptop - and it has worked okay ever since

Dunno the 'whys & wherefores'
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote