Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jan 18, 2004, 9:57 AM   #1

Default Info on Olympus Printers

I have been looking at the Hi Ti 640PS printer and I am very close in buying one when I ran across the option to go with the the Olympus P-10 or P440 Digital Photo Printer. I like the 640PS looks and track record, and cost to print, but the Olympus P440 says it can do3x5, 4x6 Or 8x 10s. Has any one tried the Olympus line of printers out as I have not seen any reviews on them.
steveJfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:46 AM   #2

SteveJfrank,

I have also been waiting for the reviews of the Oly P-440 and have sent an email to "Steve's" asking when it would be posted at this site. Here is the reply:

Quote:
Should have a review in about 2 weeks.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
cfrick
cfrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 6:11 PM   #3
Administrator

The Olympus P440 review is "in process" as I type this. I hope to get it out before I get real busy with the upcoming PMA stuff. So far the printer is quite impressive - especially at 1/2 the price of the P400. The only negative I can see is the need to trim all of the photos it produces. Even full-sheet 8x10" prints need to be trimmed to fit in a standard frame. Printing multiple smaller pics on a single A4 sheet is also going to require trimming to seperate them. So figure on buying a good rotary photo trimmer if you buy a P440. Otherwise, the P440 makes marvelous color or b&w prints that are identical to real wet-processed prints.

-Steve

2/5/2004 update - the Olympus P440 review has been posted.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 6:07 AM   #4

Thanks for the pre-review summary!

cfrick
Old Feb 7, 2004, 2:39 AM   #5

Default experience from a P440 user

I've had the P440 since it came out (I had it on my doorstep the day after my closest camera store received their shipment,) and I have been very impressed with it. It took a bit of tweaking to get the colors and sharpness dead on, but after that the results have been stellar. I thought the prints from my Canon S820 inkjet were good until I saw the prints from the 440 -- no comparison. An inkjet just can't touch the quality of a continuous tone printer.

As for the supplies, Steve's review says that the lowest price he has found comes out to $1.86 per print. I have found a better deal here:

http://www.mdiusa.com/cgi-local/Soft....htm?E+scstore

You can get 100 sheets of paper and two ribbons (enough to print 100 sheets) either glossy or matte, for $159.95. This works out to $1.60 per 8x10 print, which you just can't beat.

If you need the highest quality possible from a "home" printer, the 440 is well worth a look. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Todd
twalker294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2004, 9:10 AM   #6

Thanks Todd
Old Feb 27, 2004, 10:45 AM   #7

Default Re: experience from a P440 user

Could you please describe your "tweaks".

I'm still trying to get my colors dialed in.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by twalker294
I've had the P440 since it came out (I had it on my doorstep the day after my closest camera store received their shipment,) and I have been very impressed with it. It took a bit of tweaking to get the colors and sharpness dead on, but after that the results have been stellar. I thought the prints from my Canon S820 inkjet were good until I saw the prints from the 440 -- no comparison. An inkjet just can't touch the quality of a continuous tone printer.

As for the supplies, Steve's review says that the lowest price he has found comes out to $1.86 per print. I have found a better deal here:

http://www.mdiusa.com/cgi-local/Soft....htm?E+scstore

You can get 100 sheets of paper and two ribbons (enough to print 100 sheets) either glossy or matte, for $159.95. This works out to $1.60 per 8x10 print, which you just can't beat.

If you need the highest quality possible from a "home" printer, the 440 is well worth a look. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Todd
pdclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:38 PM   #8

I am interested in any tweeks to help sharpen p-440 prints also. I love my printer and would onloy use an inkjet again if I had to occassionally print larger than 8x10. I use MDIUSA.com for my supplies also, they have worked out for me very well. Another factor that has helped me is how the P-440 printer looks. When I print with this on-site people feel as thogh they have received something speacial. When I used my inkjet people often just wanted the file so that they could print at home or at work on their own inkjet. It is very easy to explain to people that with the Canon Digital Rebel and the Olympus P-440 they are getting higer quality than the convential inkjets. Therefore justifying my higher prices :idea:
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote