Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jan 20, 2004, 12:30 PM   #1

Default CP-200 or HiTi?

I am looking into a new dye-sub printer and am undecided between the HiTi and the Canon. I have a Canon G5 camera. It seems as though everyone in my extended family has a digital camera with the bulk of them using Sony.

A couple of quick thoughts/questions for the forum:

Does the Canon (or any other for that matter) direct printing capability provide a more or less robust printing interface than the HiTi-like memory card interface?

If I went with the HiTi, I was leaning towards the 640ps since I have so many different camera brands in the family. I can see many instances where I would want to grab a print from another camera or allow a family member to print out a pic. This may not be necessary based on the answer to the next question. Do most modern cameras suppor the camera-direct-printing capability?

Based upon the HiTi comments on this board, are you all on the HiTi payroll?

I am thinking that if most cameras support direct printing and it is a robust method, I might go with the CP-200 over the HiTi 640ps and save myself a hundred bucks. The per print costs are a bit less for the HiTi but not that much.

Thanks!

edit: I guess it would be too much to ask for the HiTi to support direct print? Or does it?
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:08 PM   #2

"Does the Canon (or any other for that matter) direct printing capability provide a more or less robust printing interface than the HiTi-like memory card interface?"

not sure what you mean by interface..? if you mean editing, no. you edit thru the Canon Powershot *cameras* with the CP printers.

"I am thinking that if most cameras support direct printing and it is a robust method, I might go with the CP-200 over the HiTi 640ps and save myself a hundred bucks. The per print costs are a bit less for the HiTi but not that much."

i have a CP-200, but was also on the fence. am very happy with the CP, but imagine i would be with the HiTi's also. dye sub is great imo. if i were going HiTi now, would wait for the new models that are coming out. one is going to support a lot more paper sizes, with some having better ratios (if i'm using the term correctly, where you get the full image unbordered).

"I guess it would be too much to ask for the HiTi to support direct print? Or does it?"

if you mean PictBridge (which i notice is now appearing on more and more cameras) - not at this time.

Karen, who wonders why so few folks reply in these forums
Karen 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 6:33 AM   #3

The 640ps does not print from the Sony memory stick. The 730ps, which is to be released soon, does support the Sony memory stick. Go to www.hitouchimaging.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:26 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen 1031
"not sure what you mean by robust interface..? if you mean editing, no. you edit thru the Canon Powershot *cameras* with the CP printers.
I meant general usability such as cropping, color adjustments, ease of use, etc. For instance, are there things that you can usually do with a HiTi like printer that you can't do with a CP-200 like printer (or vice verus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen 1031
"Karen, who wonders why so few folks reply in these forums
I guess there are some hot-button issues taht get tons of replies and others that lanquish with none. Oh well, when asking for free advice I guess I'll take what I can get.

Thanks for your help Karen!
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:51 AM   #5

"meant general usability such as cropping, color adjustments, ease of use, etc. For instance, are there things that you can usually do with a HiTi like printer that you can't do with a CP-200 like printer (or vice verus)."

i find the CP extremely easy to use..this is my first camera/printer and i am _not_ a techno person. my husb is and he's stunned at the quality of these dye sub prints. if you look at Steve's detailed reviews of CP and HiTi - can get a very good idea of which does what. it appears to me the HiTi gives you a lot more in-printer--stand-alone--editing features.

tho so far i haven't needed them. what i've needed to do, Canon allows me to do with the camera. there's computer software included with the CPs, but i'm still running Win95 so can't load it. not that i want to - Wanted a stand-alone printer for traveling and the ultra-compactness of the CPs was perfect.

take a look in your G5 User's Guide under Printing and you'll see how it works with the CPs and what functions are available. the edit functions are all done thru the LCD screen prior to printing.

"I guess there are some hot-button issues taht get tons of replies and others that lanquish with none. Oh well, when asking for free advice I guess I'll take what I can get. Thanks for your help Karen!"

my pleasure. check out: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/default.asp
for a really active group of forums.

good stuff both places

Karen
Karen 1031 is offline   Reply With Quote