Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:58 AM   #11

Default Get an inkjet...

Nicholas has some good points, however:
HiTi printers can be color adjusted by using the Adjustor software. This is a seperate program downloaded from the HiTi site. I believe it is integrated with the driver for the new 740 printer.
One major advantage of the HiTi over any inkjet is the clear protective coating (either glossy or one of three different matte finishes) that it applies over the print. To me, this advantage is decisive.
In all of the reviews that I have read, I have never come across a claim that a dye sub had a narrower color gamut than an ink jet. I would question this, since they both print with CMY.
The Canon i960 claims 4X6 print speed of 37 seconds in default mode only; the HiTi PhotoShuttle claims 45 seconds with no limitation. However, I don't believe either of them consider data transmission time, which varies with the type and amount of data. Figure about a minute for either of them.
One major advantage of the HiTi is that you always know where you stand with supplies; no running out of ink. 50 prints and the dye ribbon for them come in one box.
One last thought: the HiTi prints cost exactly $.40. A recent report in PC Magazine put the cost of the Canon 4X6 prints at $.53 (using Canon supplies).
jbruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:50 AM   #12

Default Re: Get an inkjet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbruceb
Nicholas has some good points, however:
HiTi printers can be color adjusted by using the Adjustor software. This is a seperate program downloaded from the HiTi site. I believe it is integrated with the driver for the new 740 printer.
I never said the colors couldn't be adjusted. I said that the printer couldn't be profiled. There is a huge difference. Profiling can make all the difference in getting accurate prints.

Quote:
One major advantage of the HiTi over any inkjet is the clear protective coating (either glossy or one of three different matte finishes) that it applies over the print. To me, this advantage is decisive.
People do love the look of this coat. Personally, I think it provides too much sheen (especially on the gloss).

Quote:
In all of the reviews that I have read, I have never come across a claim that a dye sub had a narrower color gamut than an ink jet. I would question this, since they both print with CMY.
I've mapped the P400 and it has a much smaller gamut than the i960. The i960 dwarfs the P400. I imagine it would do the same with nearly any dye sub. InkJets don't just print in CMY. They print in CMYK and bright M and bright C (some have different 5th and 6th colors). The color range is significantnly larger.

Quote:
A recent report in PC Magazine put the cost of the Canon 4X6 prints at $.53 (using Canon supplies).
I calculate my supply costs at 27 using Epson PPPG with Canon Inks. With generics I've read that you can get to 20 or lower.
Nicho1as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:28 PM   #13

Nicholas, I'm sorry that I misunderstood your comment on profiling a dye-sub printer.
The HiTi lets you load and use any color profile you want in the driver software under preferences. You can choose between using a paticular profile or opting to let the printer choose the best one for a particular image from among the profiles loaded.
I confess that I have never used this feature, being influenced by Richard Lynch ("The Hidden Power of Photoshop Elements 2") who believes that the best color management is NO color management.
jbruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 3:07 PM   #14

Default simple answer

I believe that any dye sub print will look like any other. This may not be 100% true, but for the most part, don't let print quality be a question between the HITI and the canon.
I would base my decision on price and availability of the media and the quality of the drivers. Go with the company that supports the printer with regular driver updates. (not sony)
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:39 PM   #15

Well i picked up a R300 Sunday. It's kinda a compromise right now.
I liked the Hiti 630, even bid on a few on ebay but they seem to go for more than list. I saw this as an easy way to make 4x6's for kids and family. You could put them on the fridge and they'd last more than 6 months. Also no need to worry about profiles and which paper works in this climate etc. But I wanted the ability to make larger prints. And to try out different papers. Could have gone with the i960 but after much reading the Epson seemed a little more friendly. Also came close to getting the R800 but the ink usage and cost plus not being able to see a sample picture scared me away. Not to mention the $400. For what I do now I think the R300 will be fine.

Being a real amature I could have kept using Ofoto but I really wanted to print things myself. I got Photoshop Elements 2 around Christmas but haven't taken the time to get into it.

Thanks for your comments.
tim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:25 PM   #16

I own an older Canon inkjet I think it is an S800, one with 6 ink cartridges. It does print really nice, when I get get the darn thing to act right. It is very inconsistent and hard to get high quality prints. That is why I baught the Olympus p-440, I can get very high quality consistent prints now 100% of the time. With Minimal set-up or configuration. I use the No Color Corection option because I do all that using RAW utilities or Adobe Photoshop CS. I don't want the printer readjusting my settings during the print job. However, I do want the printer to do things exactly as Photoshop CS tells it to do. The Olympus does this very well. I will agree that the Olympus may not be as sharp as an Inkjet, but I am resolving this by taking bettrer photos. I would nbot mind having a high end Canon like the I960 to do larger than 8x10 formats, but the Olympus isa perfect 8X10 printer.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 8:17 PM   #17

i've had 3 ink jet printers 2 epson and one canon the s900. brought the hi ti 630 ps and i won't go back to inkjet for many reasons. regardless of what you buy canon 200 or hi ti you will be pleased
bherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 11:11 PM   #18

I agree 100%. I started off with several of the Sony Dye-Sub 4x6 printers. I now have about 4 which I use on-site to shoot pictures at night clubs. I use a sony f707 for that because the Night vision focusing and framing is unbeatable in low light situations. I take my memory stick out and put it in the little dye-sub connected to a 12" tv. This allows the customer to see there shots before buying and select quantity. I use multiples for handling multiple customers simutaneously. Now I have an 8x10 dye-sub and LOVE IT... I have a video switch box that aloows me to hook all or them to the tv, but they the Olympus has a built in LCD.:-) This stuff is fast acurate, no computer required and works perfect everytime.

I have an inkjet a Canon S800 6 cartridge deal. When I take shots with My Canon Digital Rebel, the dye-subs still win hands down.

Oh an Inkjet may just have a higher color gamut I wouldn't know because I could never get the thing to work right :roll:. with all the adjustments and paper types, I could never get two good prints consistently...
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote