Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Sep 11, 2004, 1:01 AM   #11

I've heard good things about the P-440 and can only assume they're true.

But I own a Kodak 8500 and I must give it very high marks. I have an Epson Perfection 4870 scanner and using a Kodak and coloraid.de IT8 reflective target calibrated my scanner and the 8500 using VueScan on a Mac.

The 8500 results are fantastic, printing the Lab version of a GretagMacbeth ColorChecker (by Bruce Lindbloom) there are only has 4 or 5 squares that appear slightly off viewing under 5000K versus the REAL ColorChecker - obviously where the 8500 couldn't match the gamut. This is truly a PRO comp printer that will let you print what you see in Photoshop CS, assuming a colorimetrically calibrated display (I use 2.2 gamma and 5000K - Mac's don't need 1.8 gamma!).

It also works with Apple's Airport Express network adapter so it can be easily shared by Mac's - on XP you can only share it from a computer hooked up to the printer.
toonerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2004, 4:13 PM   #12

I've been reading about dye-sub vs. inkjet since I'm considering buying a photo printer for high quality 8 x 10s. My question is: high end inkjets now have up to 8 tanks (black plus 7 colors) to achieve pure black plus a wide color gamut. The dye-subs only have 3 colors - hence they have to "make" black with 3 primary colors. I'm convincing that the dye subs have nice smooth, dot-less photographs. But, can a dye sub really produce PURE blacks and the needed color gamut for everything from portraits to landscapes? It seems like a big dis-connect to have a 3 color system equal an 8 color system.

Does anyone have direct comparisons of these two printing methods?

Thanks
bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:31 AM   #13

Please see my post under in the dye sub section of this forum. I just bought a new Olympus P-400 for $149.99US from Officemax in Sioux Falls, SD. I have the whole story posted in the printers dye sub forum.

later
quakebot is offline   Reply With Quote