Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Feb 18, 2004, 5:53 PM   #1

Default dye sub or ink jet?

I'm currently setting up a business targetting corporate events whereby photos will be taken at the beginning of the event and handed out (in a 4x6 frame) at the end of the event. I'm debating on whether to get a dye sub (hi-ti, or canon) or ink jet (canon i960). I currently tested the canon cp-200, i love the quality but concerned about the print speed. The groups in these events will be anywhere from 200 to 400 people. I'm looking for suggestions as to which one to go to. Obviously speed, quality and cost will be the issue.

Your opinions are appreciated.
petria3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:15 PM   #2

I am no expert, but for that number of people, you should probably look at the HiTi 640DL which is their pro version. For that many prints I don't know if the canon can hack it.

For a personal or a business where quantity in a short space of time is not paramount I guess the Canon can work.

Most people here would tell you shop HiTi though as the quality is said to be great and the consumables (ink and paper) are cheaper than the Canon

D
dudlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 3:55 PM   #3

How long will you have to print the photos? The HiTi will give you great pics but speed is an issue with this printer. The Canon i960 will also provide excellent photos but delivery time is much faster than the HiTi printers.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:46 PM   #4

Normally these events will last for 3 to 4 hours, therefore my window is pretty short.

Quick question, do the prints from the i960 produce a high gloss finish as the dye subs?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:58 PM   #5

Default CP-300 instead?

petria3,

I am also planning to start a small business providing on-the-spot printing (don't worry, I'm on the other side of the globe in Singapore! ).

Just last weekend, for a friend's party for his baby boy, I lugged my Hi-Ti 640PS, a 12.1-in laptop (which weighs about 1.9 kg), my Canon EOS Digital Rebel (otherwise known as EOS 300D to some) with the 28-135mm lens and the Speedlite 420EX in a Lowepro Nova 2 bag [I really can't tell the total weight I was lugging around, but it was quite some weight but thank god I drove]. People were obviously impressed, but the thing that struck me most was that had it been an outdoor event, it would have been difficult, if not, impossible for me to use the Hi-Ti.

With the Canon CP-300, one can actually set up a booth in the middle of the desert and you will still be able to get your business running! I'll probably get one CP-300 when the money I earn from this small business covers the costs of my Hi-Ti, or when the stock market soars! :P

BTW, does anyone know of a good bag to allow me to lug my Hi-Ti around without the fear of knocking it around?

cheerio!
GeeK
GeeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:30 PM   #6

Just a thought, for that quantity of prints it might be better just to go to your local drug store, or other digital printer place and pay 0.29 each. No worry on the large quantity of supplies needed, the wear and tare on the new printer let them keep up the maintenance on their machine.
steveJfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:22 AM   #7

petra3

I would allow 90 secs per print with the HiTi system. The new 730PS may be faster. Check www.hitouchimaging.com for the specs. The Canon should take about 30 secs per print.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:43 AM   #8

To everyone that answered:

geek: thanks for the info...my setup is similiar to yours, but with the number of prints I have to do in a short period of time, I will be connecting 2 printers to my laptop. I think for now I will be using the canon-cp200 as the unit and its materials are widely available.....my ideal setup would be to have 2 olympus p-440 printers, but right now those units are a little too expensive....not to mention the cost of materials. Btw, good luck on your venture.

stevejfrank: I see your point....but I think that would defeat the purpose of providing on the spot printing. But you do bring out a good point that as a backup (in the event the printers breakdown) that I know of a local shop that can produce photos fairly quickly.

gibsonpd3620: I looked at the specs of the 730ps....they are pretty impressive.....who knows if business is good, I may spring for one or two down the road.

once again thanks for the input.....other suggestions are welcomed.......
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:08 PM   #9

I've got a P-440 and I absolutely love it. My wife and I had her family over for Christmas dinner and they got to leave with some nice five-by-sevens with the family picture.

Consumables are about $1.80 per A/4 sheet, and you can fit two 4"x6" or 5"x7" on one sheet.

Printing from the PC requires resampling of the photo to 314 ppi or you will see aliasing in the output.

The Olympus CAMEDIA software is very useful, especially if you want to create calendars, etc. but I did notice one big issue that prevents me from using it. I was unable to print a full 5x7 or 4x6 using the software (which lets you drag and drop two pictures per sheet, 4 per sheet, etc.) because the software always resized it to be about 0.5 to 0.3 inches smaller on each dimension.

The end result was that I use PhotoShop to put the two pictures together and print them directly from PhotoShop.

Finally, you'll need to cut the pictures once they're printed. Olympus has precut paper, but that's only useful if you want to sell wierd picture sizes like 3.5" by 5.2" or something like that.

There are some plusses to the Olympus though. Print time is pretty quick. I've got a 2.8 GHz P4 w/512 MB RAM, and it takes about 90 seconds from when I press print to when I'm holding the completed image in my hand.

I posted a semi-review a while ago and I'll repeat some things I said there...Image quality and durability are fantastic. The black detail and color vibrance completely blew me away. I also was able to put a puddle of water on the picture, rub it around vigorously with my fingers for about 30 seconds, and wipe it off with NO visible damage.

------
Since I don't have any experience with the other printers I can't comment on them. When I'm in a hurry, it takes me about 2 to 3 minutes to load two images in PS, crop them to the correct size, resample them, and start the printing.

PROS:
* Fantastic Image Quality
* Fairly fast print time
* Wow factor as the picture comes out after each pass with more color
* Ability to print up to 8"x10" prints

CONS:
* Image processing required for printing from PC
* Cost of consumables...though cost for such a durable, high-gloss print ($1.80 per A4 sheet) isn't so bad.
* Cost of printer

Please let me know if you have any questions. I've been travelling on business for most of the last couple months (including Singapore), but I should be around a bit more now.
FatNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:44 PM   #10

I currently use a Fuji Pictrography 3000 which is a great 8x10 printer, but it is rather large. I've been thinking about the Kodak 8500 dye-sub for going on location. The print samples I've seen are great and the cost per page $1.88 is very reasonable. Does anyone have any input on this printer?
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote