Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:48 AM   #1

Default Printing sports cards?

My son is starting to play on a lacrosse team this spring in a relatively new program. There was some talk about team photos and we were griping about the gouging the local photographers put on the teams. You can rarely get out of the deal without spending $30 to $40. Most parents just want a team photo, an individual photo and perhaps a sports trading card. The team and individual photos would be easy to do on a consumer grade dye-sub printer, but I am not so sure about the trading cards. The way I see it the problem is printing on both sides and the heavier stock paper.

Anyone thought about this?
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2004, 9:48 PM   #2

Default re: Printing sports cards?

Kinda in the same situation. I have a P-400 Olympus that does a fabulous job for team Pics and Individual Sports Cover Pages.

I have printed Double sided trader Cards in the Past, using a Lexmark Inkjet Printer. At the time I used paper I purchased at Office Depot. (Not recommended you ever attempt like this if you want pro quality) But at the time, it's all I had.

This was all before I discovered Red River Paper Company.

Here is where I could use any help (same as you) from anyone with some experience in this area.

I am looking for recommendations for a Epson, Canon or HP Printer, with a straight paper path to handle the 68lb Frio Gloss 2 Sided Paper (purchased from Red River). This paper is heavy enough stock IMHO to be considered what you might call a Trader Card. Red River Paper company according to their literature recommends one of these three for optimum results.

Some may laugh at how I setup the trader card template, but I use Paint Shop Pro (I know most in here prefer Photoshop) for Image editing and MS Publisher for the Template so i can line up the front print, turn the paper over and line up the back of the card (believe it or not, it works great). My concern is not the quality of the Inkjet print on a 2"x3" print, it's how long I have to let it dry before i print on the backside and the printing time itself (toooo long). Oh, and i would like a little life longevity from the print. I am leaning towards the Epson 2200 or the Canon S9000. I like the option of the 13"x19" capabilities, in case i want to create a huge tile pic.

I hope this has helped and maybe we can get recommendations from some of the more knowledgable guru's in this forum. They have not failed me in here yet.
BA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:38 PM   #3

I requested a 4x6 regular print sample from HiTi as well as a 4x6 sticker print. When the sticker is applied to the back of the regualr print, the result is a decent thickness. Use the HiTi web site to request one of each for yourself. I was thinking of using the HiTi 730 and printing four card fronts on a 5x7 and four card backs on a 5x7 sticker, putting them together and cutting them apart.

This sounds like alot of effort for four cards though...

I am not sure how to proceed?

I'll check the paper company you mention for use in my old Canon S630 inkjet.
Old Apr 16, 2004, 10:55 PM   #4

Default Using HiTi Stickers

ah30k,

Holy Sticker Batman! - I have a 630PS Hiti printer and I have the combo pack along with all their different sticker options!

I am looking at some sticker prints i made for our Ball club, you may be onto something. The 2x4 sticker may do the job, by printing the the front and the back on a second sheet, this way you do not have to do any cutting (looks like you have to be careful when sticking them together) . They are a bit smaller than the one's i see the phot companies provide, but it may be a better option, and it's Dye Sub, not ink!

Your idea with a good cutting board sounds great and I don't think would take no longer than waiting for a Inkjet to spit out two sides at high resolution, then having to cut it as well.

I will give this a try and post my results if interested!
BA63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 10:04 AM   #5

I just made a set of sports trading cards with a HiTi PS-730. They came out GREAT! I used a photoshop elements template to make 2.5 x 3.5 sports cards (I'll post the template once I make one with John Doe as the player name). I then used the PSE 'Picture Package' option to lay 4 of those cards onto a single 5x7 sheet (they fit perfectly).

I printed the 4 fronts on one 5x7 photo sheet and the 4 backs on another photo sheet. I used a spray glue from my local craft store to glue them together.

The weight of the double photo sheets is plenty heavy to simulate a real card and the quality of the prints is outstanding.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:31 PM   #6

Here are the templates (and a .jgp screen shot of them) I used.

I think I'll need to zip them in the next post.

* Disclaimer, I used a downloaded template (from the adobe web site) for the basis of this. It is not all my work.
Attached Images

Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:35 PM   #7

Whoops, I'll have to cut down the size of the files before I post...

Old Jun 10, 2004, 8:35 PM   #8

Whoops, I'll have to cut down the size of the files before I post...

Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:58 PM   #9

I dont have a dye sub printer yet, well i have an old Alps i guess its kinda the same.

but i dont use it anymore. But about the trading cards right now i use a lexmark, which i plan to get a new printer here soon. but anyway i use photo paper and print 9 cardsto a page and cut them out , i dont usually put anything on the back.

I usually do a team shot card and an action shot card of the sport, then put them in clear real sports card holders. team on one side and indiv. on back, the indiv. one has the last name and shirt number, team name, sometimes more,i make my own temp. Ill have to put one on here some time, im at work so cant do it now.

But i did around 75 cards in each in a clear case(you can get a walmart) last football season just for fun, the reason is i took action shots of A,B,C teams and cheerleaders, and noticed by the end of the season i had every kid , so i did one for each kid and gave them one at the end of the season. I also sold 4x6 prints for 1.00, got printed for .24 cents, they did well. Not sure for this year.

Ive done this for basketball, football, softball,baseball,youth and high school.

But i need to get a new printer for bigger shots.

thanks all for your posts ive learned a lot reading them.

still looking for a new printer time to upgrade
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote