Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Mar 5, 2004, 4:51 PM   #1

Default PHOTO PRINTER QUESTION

I have a pretty decent cannon (power shot S50) digital camera and I am looking to get a printer for it. I would like to be able to do BW prints at time along with the color. Plus I would like to at least have some variation on the print size. Am I asking too much. Any recomendations/opinions/advice would be great.
:? [/u][/i]
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:27 PM   #2

You have three options:
1) Inkjet ... Not bad quality, easy to use, cheap printing ($0.20 - $0.60 per 8x10 page)

2) Stores/Kiosk .. Better quality (Di sub) cheap for small stuff higher for bigger stuff ($2.50 - $4.00 per 8 x10)

3) Di-Sub .. best quality medium price per 8x10 ( about $2.00). Usually a little higher (than store) per page on the smaller (4x6, 5x7 stuff).

This is the Di sub forum so the printer that matches your requirements is the Olympus http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_...mpus_p440.html. 314 ppi (better than your camera at 8x10).

If you want to do a lot of experimenting then I would suggest an inkjet (Canon 960 or Epson r300) then use the stores for final print. Each of those printers is less than $200 and the output (even in b/w) is pretty darn good. You will not be ashamed of putting the output in an album and if you fool around a lot the printer will pay for itself by allowing 10-20 test prints for the cost of one Di Sub print. Plus injets do have more printing options than the home Di Sub unit.

For the ultimate system... Get both test print on the inkjet then final print on the Diesub (cost for both is about $550).

Best way is to judge for yourself. Take a picture that you like. Fix it up in Photoshop then take it to the local store for a 8x10 Di sub. Now take the same picture to a dealer and have them print it on an inkjet. Do the above for three types of picture to get the ultimate results. 1- Color landscape, 2-B/W , 3-Color People.

Good luck...
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote