Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Apr 16, 2004, 1:59 PM   #1

Default New HiTi 630PL Owner with Question

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding my new HiTi 630. I have printed a grand total of one picture so far, but I want to figure out what I am doing before I go through a bunch of rather costly paper.

My first print was slightly crooked. There is something like 1/8" (my best guess) of white space at the top left corner of my picture. The white gets smaller until it disappears are approximately 2/3 of the way across the picture.

My wife has a cropper, so it is not a particularly big deal to fix this one picture, assuming that the exact dimensions aren't important, but I'd like to avoid this in the future. Is there some trick to loading the paper properly or something else? I am assuming that one is supposed to load the paper from the side that the plastic cover comes off, but that could be wrong. There is that brown plastic flap that seems to hold the paper down. Is there anything that you have to watch for with that?

I was looking in the driver settings, and I saw that there is a setting for Magic Coating. It is unchecked. I was assuming that it was checked, because I thought that this was the 4th pass that the printer made, and it certainly did make a 4th pass. So, did my picture get the "Magic Coating", and are there different coatings? I would certainly say that the picture has a glossy look to it, so I am thinking something is there. What is the recommended setting for "Magic Coating"? I know it may be a matter of preference.

I assume that I know the answer to my next question, but I will ask anyhow. Is there any good way to minimize the jaggies on the edge of the prints? They aren't terrible by any means, but it would be nice if they were almost invisible. Obviously, my wife can use her cropper to clean up the edges, but that is a bit much to ask for every picture.

Finally, are there any general tips and tricks that I should know with this thing? Thank you in advance.

Nathan
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:56 PM   #2

Hi Nathan,
You insert the paper w/ the glossy side facing up and the shorter perforation going into the printer while the longer perforated edge faces you. You can tilt the tray forward a bit so that all the paper falls closer to the end from which it will be picked up. With most prints, you should get the prints going slightly into the perforated edges and sometimes w/ a very slight (fraction of 1 degree) rotation. Just make sure you are printing w/ the proper specs for your image. If printing from PhotoDesiree, then you just need to make sure you fill the entire visible area in the workspace (clicking fit-to-width or fit-to-height will help). If printing from Photoshop or another program, make sure the image is set to 1800x1200 (4x6, 300dpi) so that each pixel will correspond to each dot in the printed image. The plastic mylar strip is to help pull off any dust on the surface of your paper.

As for the "Magic Coating", there seems to be some misunderstanding through the bad translations. It is a function that allows you to print images onto the overcoat layer so you get a translucent "watermark" effect. Through this function, you can also choose to apply a "matte effect" on the overcoat. This matte effect, though, is less visible unless you have a higher dpi printer (around 400dpi). The overcoat itself is ALWAYS printed on your images, so you will always have a 4th pass for the overcoat layer.

For the perforations, the best way to remove them is to fold them once each way and they break off. This would probably leave less protrusions if you just pull them straight out, but there is no way (save cutting them) to make them completely invisible.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 2:04 PM   #3

Default Thank you

Thank you for your response. I have found that my subsequent prints have not been crooked, though I have not followed any different procedure. I believe that it was a slight malfunction that may have been related to the way the paper was loaded, but I cannot be sure. I hope that it doesn't occur again.

Thank you for the explanation of the magic coating. When you say "matte effect", so you mean that the image would have more of a matte finish, as opposed to glossy? Or is this something else entirely? You say that it is not as visible on this printer due to the 300 dpi resolution? I guess that I can play around with it, but it would be nice to be able to have pictures with a somewhat less glossy appearance, when desired. Thank you.

Nathan
ncfoster is offline   Reply With Quote