Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old May 10, 2004, 3:56 AM   #1

I know a few other posts have mentioned it, but I didn't really see any conclusions.

So does anybody know whether the extra resolution offered by the 640PS and GALA is worth not having the larger image sizes available with the 740.

I have just got a new Olympus C8080WZ, so have a camera capable of delivering plenty of resolution, but am also used to printing my images in 7x5 so 6x4 seems pretty small.

What do people think ?

(Steve do you have any suggestions, seeing as you have reviewed all of the printers ?)

Thanks,

Paul

pabrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 9:24 AM   #2

I currently have the 640PS but owned the 630PS before my kids bought the 640 for fathers day last year. I can not distinguish the difference from the 640 to 630. I believe that 300 dpi out of the camera is more than sufficient.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 6:36 PM   #3

I bought the 730 two weeks ago - it is fantastic! The picture quality is great. Everyone I show the pictures to cannot believe how good they are.

EXTREMELY pleased with this printer.

I am using aDigital Canon Rebel. Also great!

Stan
Stan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 1:42 PM   #4

I have both the 640ps and the new 730ps -

The 5x7 and 6x8's work VERY nicely - flawless operation !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 10:11 AM   #5

I bought the 640GALA as it had a few more features when it is not connected to a computer and the higher resolution that may or may not be visible to the naked eye. I also bought the 300 pack of paper and ribbons from HiTi direct to keep the cost per print down.

The 730PS had a higher cost per print and since part of my reason was portability, I did not want to take along another set or two of paper and ribbons. I currently have a older epson printer that jets are clogged, but it did a really good job with a continous feed printing pictures. I hope to get the jets unclogged. But for now, I go by Sam's Club anyway. They have a Fuji Frontier 370 and the best prices in town for 4x6 and 5x7 and 8x10's, i think they go bigger also, but that is not done in store. Also it cost's more and takes longer if you send the jpgs to Sams online. If the machine is working, they promise prints in less than 1 hour. So I can tweek out a picture and print it on my 640GALA and if i need more and want to, go by Sams and get them for 18 cents (4x6) plus tax each.

I've printed as many as 456 (4 to a page)photos in one day. With continous feed bulk (non-epson) ink, the cost was minimal. I put them in a notebook with matte finish clear protectors and gave the notebook to my Mother. (It was pictures of her 75th birthday). Nobody young or old ever complained about the quality of the printouts, then i did reprints up to 8 x 10 for whomever wanted them.

I like to keep cost down as I give away lots of photos and nobody except us photo nuts (like me) ever bothers to pick apart quality. Out of the box, no computer, i liked the print quality of my 640GALA better than the $125,000 Fuji Frontier 370. I've shown the same prints to dozens of people and half like the hiti printer better and half like the fuji. I need to talk to the operator at my Sams Club. The printouts from Sam's here look as if they have been enhanced, more color and contrast. I like a "more natural" to me anyway look. So I'm going to talk to the operator to see if they can easily change any settings or if it is all automatic. Good luck with whatever printer you get.... oh, i just got a Canon Powershot A75, works great.

c'ya,
keekoo
Keekoo is offline   Reply With Quote