Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old May 27, 2004, 3:28 AM   #1

Refering Steve´s Conclusion about Sony DPP-EX50 I would like know (and ask) how can I connect and print under mac OSX. Thank you.
antoyques is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:14 PM   #2

I would love to find these drivers myself, but from all of my research I have come to the conclusion that Sony does not make Mac drivers for the EX-50. A shame, too, because I just bought a CP-200 to compare (this model hooks up to my Mac) and the Sony blew the Canon away in all 5 of my test prints. I want Mac drivers for the Sony!!!!
fanchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:30 AM   #3

See Steve´s Sony DPP-EX50 review: "Compatible with both Windows and Macintosh platforms". Time to tell us how. Regards, Chris
antoyques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 4:19 PM   #4
Administrator

Yeah, sorry about that. The initial info from Sony did say they were going to support OS X but now they say no.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:26 PM   #5

Just became an owner of DPP-EX50.By now I'veyet printed more 30 pictures and, it seems, I'm quite satisfied with this device.This timethere's a marvellous pair around me: Sony DSC-W1 and EX50

So. Very sharp, brightand realistic colors (especially on portraits they're fine and true). Though, maybe, there're not enough deep black tones somewhere. Not a problem. Good quality of glossy paper. Quick printing. And there's no pixelisation (noise, dust) like in case of ink printers. Absolute clearness and smoothness. Due to sublimatic technology.

Mr Steve here wascompletely right givinghigh appreciation to this printer.

I had nice semi-relaxing job, since printer installed itsICM profile into system.Exact correspondence between monitor and output does your work more easier and withcorrect and expected colors.

The only moment bothers and disappoints me awfully, butalittle - I meen high pricesof paper (+cartridge in kit as well) for this printer. Hmm..... Global sorrow....

Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 12:31 AM   #6

I also have the DPP-EX50. Compared to a Canon i960 inkjet printer, I find the Sony to have poorer contrast. Blacks on the Canon is black while on the Sony it shows up as a very dark gray-black. This results in a less punchier picture when compared to the Canon. Colors on the Canon also seems to be a bit more vivid.

On the other hand, I did notice an odd thing about the printouts. I had taken a picture of "Old Ironsides" in Boston Harbor and both printers had reproduced the rigging (ropes) with a "twisted" look, i.e. they were varying in thickness along its length.

When printing directly from the compactflash card on the Sony, the rigging appeared even in thickness. Also, the direct printouthad a bit less contrast.
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2004, 4:59 AM   #7

I haven't got ever any inkjet photoprinter, so, it'shard to judge. But you're absolutely right talking about some weak Sony's black color lacks. It is. But, as for me, they don't bother me at all. I see Sony's printouts tonesas mild, easy-tempered, more tender and gentle Maybe because mostly I take pictures of portraits and nature.

And Iask myselfis it necessary colors to be vivid every time? May be onlyin case you take pictures of fireworks, F1 racingor tiger-skin... :roll:

Thank you very muchfor your reply!

Sincerely.
Pipkin is offline   Reply With Quote