Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old May 28, 2004, 10:14 AM   #1

I'm currently looking to get my fiancee a dye-sub printer for her birthday a month from now. So far I've decided on the hiti 630 but was curious if you guys might have a suggestion for another that fits my needs even better.

I want the hands down best possible print quality, but for a reasonable price To help make that possible.. print speed doesn't matter, as it's only for home use.. doesn't have to have any card slots or lcd screens as it will only be printed to from the PC. It doesn't have to have any software, I have enough already. It only needs to be able to print 4x6.. or 5x7 if possible, although I don't see as many of those.

Edit: that being said, I'm not fully set on it being a dye-sub really. I've never owned a dye-sub printer before. If you think that an inkjet would give me what I'm looking for more than a dye-sub, let me know.

Thanks in advance

-Jason

pixelpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2004, 2:22 PM   #2

The 630 will only print 4X6. The print quality is as goos as any in photo lab. You must use the print packages that HiTi sells. The pacakge includes 50 4X6 pieces of photo paper and dye sub ribbon for printer. They usually sell for $20 a box.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:12 AM   #3

Jason-

I own a Hi-Ti 640PS and the new 730PS.

The 640PS only accomodates 4x6 prints. The quality is second to none. They look, feel exactly like your "lab" prints. Cost per print is around 36¢-38¢ each.

The 730PS can produce 4x6, 5x7, 6x8 sizes. Different ribbon for each size paper.

Also the 640PS and the 730PS use different ribbon cartridges. They are not interchangeable between models.

Both units work flawlessly right out of the box.

Now the tough part. You say that you just want basic 4x6's for general usage. But, what if you start to really get into photography and find that 5x7's or 6x8's are better for gifts or displaying in your home. Heck, what if you want to sell a few to someone?

Thats WHY I have both. "Buyers Remorse" is a sad thing-

For what its worth
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 10:54 AM   #4

I ended up ordering the Photoshuttle from newgg and the 200 pack from Overstock today.. for a total of around $223 after shipping and all.

Hopefully she will like it She's been wanting a photoprinter for a long time. Our $80 b&w laser just doesn't cut it
pixelpoet is offline   Reply With Quote