Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jun 3, 2004, 7:48 PM   #1

I have a Sony DPP-EX5 and generally have been disappointed with the prints. I am wondering if I; a) amspoiled b) have substandard equipemnt , or c) have no idea what I am doing.

I shoot digital with a Fuju F700 generally in 1/2 in auto and 1/2 in program where I set the white balance manually. IN all cases, I use the highest quality setting that produces a large JPEG. I have not tried RAW mode.

The camera is easy to use and the images on my PC monitor (17" flat panel) look pleasing. When I print however, the pictures do not look sharp and the colors are way too hot.

I am considering getting a Leica Digilux-2 and a new ink jet photo printer. My reference point is film pictures I take with a Nikon F100 and top of the line Nikon optics (35-70 2.8D or 80-200 2.8D). The Nikon pictures always look razor sharp with great color using Kodak Portra NC 160.

I have photoshop but have no idea how to use it. I was also considering purchasing the Spyder color calibration tool.

Before I start spending all this money, I would appreciate any advice on the following:

1) Will I be able to produce anything at home with my current or proposed equipment that will compare to my F100?

2) Would learning Photoshop help with my current equipment?

3) Is Photoshop necessary for discriminating digital results?

4) Should I get the Spyder.

Thanks for any insight provided. I have been reading different web resources for days, and have not come to any conclusions on my own. It almost seems as if I would have to buy all of the equipment and do side by side comparisions. An expensive experiement to say the least.

dwmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2004, 11:49 PM   #2

try printing from the software that came with the printer. my sony is very picky about that. different color-match profiles dont seem to help.
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote