Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jun 4, 2004, 1:01 AM   #1

Are there any other options for powering the Hiti 630PS? I was hoping for a dye sub printer that could be used in a car with a cigarette lighter. Also, do you feel that the 630DS is a good printer for the price of $155.00 USD on www.newegg.com? I am only 16 and just want a new "toy" to fool around with and get great prints from.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2004, 6:52 AM   #2

You might go to http://www.hitouchimaging.com and ask them directly.

Generally speaking - all of the units are configured to run on AC current. Your car is of course DC so you would need an inverter which would be an additional cost to you. Not knowing what your usage is going to be it is hard to give you details.

The printers DO give you excellent quality prints.

By the way, I buy all of my supplies (paper & ribbons) from newegg, they have been a very reliable source -

Let us know what you decide !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2004, 8:58 AM   #3

The HiTi "Transportable" is a ruggadized version of the 630 that includes a DC/AC inverter. I suppose you could also go to RadioShack and get your own inverter to use with a regular 630 if you really don't need a "rugged" printer.

http://www.hitouchimaging.com/Transp...ll.asp?lid=360
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 1:56 AM   #4

Thanks, guys. I think I will just buy the 630PS from Newegg for $157.00 (!) and get a power inverter somewhere online.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 7:32 AM   #5

Thought I would throw this out there real quick. I just tried to print with my 730PS from my van using the van's built in power inverter. I had lots of problems printing and could not figure out the issue. It seemed to lose connection with and reset the printer (always at the same spot which was weird). I was using a laptop connected to my 730PS. I had not used the laptop/730ps very much before then connected directly together. Priorm I was using the 730ps as a networked printer.

When I got home and rebooted the machine, it said it was finishing the driver download.

To make a long story short, I have not had a chance to re-try the van printing but I am worried enough that I would ask around before committing to this solution. I saw a web site that said the power inverter solution does not always work well if there is no ground plug on the power system. Evidently static build up during the print cycle.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 11:31 AM   #6

Thanks! It's nice to hear from someone who has done exactly what I want to do. I guess I'll have to look into it and see is there is a solution.