Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jun 13, 2004, 6:45 PM   #1

I have heard tonsof great things on these boards about Hiti dye-sub printers, so I gave up on the Canon mini dye sub printers and emailed Hiti for a sample print. Well, it finally arrived, and I must say, I am unimpressed. It is a picture of a girl holding a bottle of water and a parrot is on her other arm drinking from the bottle top. It has beautiful colors, but the girl has a very soft tone to her. Do you think that they used a slightly blurry print, or is this to be expected of Hi-Touch? Thanks!

Mike B.
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2

Greetings,

When I got my 640GALA I was very impressed. The week before I had some prints done by the Fuji Frontier 370, it cost's $125,000.00. Walmart and Sams's club etc. use them. I did those same prints with my HiTi right out of the box not even connected to the computer.... I personally liked my HiTi prints better. I showed them to all my friends and half of them liked the Fuji prints better and half liked the HiTi prints better. AS they say Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Yes, the HiTi prints have a softer look than the Fuji. I like that, but (and I have no need to)I would think that the HiTi can be set up to print the prints the way you like them.

c'ya,
kekoo
640GALA
Canon A75
Pre-Historic Computer
Keekoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:50 PM   #3

The print just seemed pretty blurry for dye-sub. Anyways, Keekoo, I see that you have the Canon A75. I am considering getting that, too, but my decision is between these three: Canon A75, Canon A80, and Kodak DX6440. I have also looked a bit at some Olympus cameras. What is your opinion of your A75 and did you look at any of the other cameras that I am? What do you not like about your A75? Thanks!

Mike
DrDictionary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:19 AM   #4

DrDictionary -

I own both the 640PS and the new 730PS. I've run a couple hundred shots out of the 630 and 80+ from the 730 (includingsix X eights).

Both printers work flawlessly, with one minor feed problem.

I have found that they both give excellent color and detail.

So much of prints is a subjective rather than objective perception.

Canon has a tendancy to over process the shots in cameras for the general consumer market. small 4X6 shots create a perception of being ultra sharp.

It is a human feature that the eye tends to create 'edges' to objects, part of the 3D aspect of our vision. The illusion of 3D is created by oversharpening in the camera, so when you get the print, your brain doesn't have to compensate as much. The result is the impression that the print is 'sharp' and your brain says OK.

In fact, if your brain has to work a little more, there is also time to evaluate the color and shape of objects and to experienced eyes, it often is a 'better' print. Remember all this is taking place in mili-seconds and is pretty much in the sub-concious.

Over simplified but a fact of nature.

That is why so much is done in the computer, in order to get what you personally consider to be the optimum print.

Dye Sub printers are 'continous tone' so there is not the stark defintions that Ink jets produce as a result of their printing method.

Either way - Good Shooting
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2004, 7:07 PM   #5

Greetings Mike,

I wanted a camera that used AA batteries and the Compact Flash to replace my Kodak DC240. I looked at several of the "A" series Canon's. I did not choose the A80 because of the LCD opening and closing and turning. I have over 5000 pictures on my Kodak and figured their might be problems sooner or later with that. I chose the A75 because it had more features than the A70. As for dislike, well, not really dislike, but the A75 has a Postcard Mode that only "grays out" part of the photo in the LCD so you know what you will get when you crop the image to make a postcard ( 4 x 6 ) print. The A80 has available two lens converters a 37mm and a 52mm ( i think that is the size canon makes). The 37mm is supposed to do a better job with the flash and red eye (made by another company). Thus far I have not had much warning when it is time to change batteries, no problem i always carry two sets with me. A rechargeable set and a set of throw aways. OH, the A75 has the panoramic feature, which is really neat... newegg had a special on them and they ship fast.

c'ya,
kekoo
640GALA
Canon A75
Pre-Historic Computer
Keekoo is offline   Reply With Quote