Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jun 15, 2002, 9:37 PM   #1

Default Kodak 8500 - Good???

If anyone here purchases the new Kodak 8500. Post some results. It looks good. I might have to part with my Tektronix 450.

Thanks

Mark
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2002, 7:09 AM   #2

Default Kodak 8500 initial impression

Just got mine yesterday. All documentation points to some kind of calibration software or guide somewhere, but it just aint here. Without it, prints are washed out, lack any color vibrancy, highlights blow out to white way too early. Appears to have nice detail, but everything looks lackluster. Bright bold colors on screen print as dull, pale. Until I figure out how to calibrate this thing, Im disappointed.
gmosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:57 PM   #3

OK, after a half a box of matte paper, I figured out the best way to get decent results from the printer. I knew it was possible, it just took me a while to adjust both my expectations and my working habits. I am now getting very nice photo quality prints. The matte paper could stand to be a little more "matte-y", but what are you gonna do? All in all, Im a happy camper. And I'm confident my customers will be, too.
gmosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2002, 11:50 AM   #4

Default KOKAK 8500 printer

This printer is awesome. I had been using the Olympus P-400 (also a dye sub printer which is very good), but I like this one even more. I like the ability to print MATTE prints as well as GLOSSY. Color is excellent and it is much faster than my Olympus. The price is great....not much else I can say-- it's a great deal.
rl2thdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 12:18 AM   #5
Administrator

I am working on our <a href="http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/kodak8500.html">Kodak 8500 review</a>, just got it a couple of days ago. It's been making near-perfect prints since the first piece of paper. As with all printers, it takes a properly calibrated monitor to know what you are sending to the printer.

The Kodak 8500 requires NO driver tweaks whatsoever. Using all the default settings it consistently produces photo quality 8x10's one after another.

The review is now done and posted, follow link above.

-Steve

[Edited on 9-14-2002 by steve]
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2002, 1:45 AM   #6

Default 2 5x7 pictures on a page?

Greetings, using the Photo Printing Wizard in Windows XP, you have options of printing 8x10, 2 5x7, 3 4x6, 4 3.5x5, and 9 Wallet size. My question is given that the maximum print size for the Kodak 8500 is 8x10 is it capable of printing the 5x7, 4x6, and 3.5x5 formats as they add up to 10? Will they print out, but not leave a space? Or is it possible to leave a bit of a space between them?

Thanks for your help.

-Kojow
kojow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2002, 11:45 PM   #7

Default Kodak 8500

We just picked up the 8500 yesterday. Unfortunately, all the demo tests we did at our supplier seemed real good, but when we got ours home, it's not 100%. We can't find that damm calibration utility that is posted on the CD and web site. .... Anyone have an idea where we can get it ????? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkM
If anyone here purchases the new Kodak 8500. Post some results. It looks good. I might have to part with my Tektronix 450.

Thanks

Mark
Mike_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2002, 12:35 AM   #8

Default Kodak 8500

I am probably going to make this purchase in a couple of days unless someone convinces me otherwise. Mike_AR, what did you mean that it's not 100%? Are the colours off? Is it pixelating? Does it not line up properly?

I suppose if I do get it I will be looking for the calibration software too, eh?

Thanks,

-kojow
Old Oct 10, 2002, 10:41 AM   #9

Default Washed Out prints

Hi gmosier, others:

I am getting the same effect that you did. What did you use to fix the washed out look? I haven't had too much time yet to try a whole bunch of printing, but it is indeed washed out and not very vibrant as you say.

As for those wondering about the calibration software, I believe all you have to do is go to the Printer Setup and from there you are able to adjust the colour/brightness/contrast settings. I am going to try tampering with these and see what kind of effects I get. I just hope I don't have to go through a whole box of paper/ribbon trying to do it.

-Kojow
Old Oct 10, 2002, 6:20 PM   #10

Default Kodak 8500 Print times

I'm looking for real-world print times from the Kodak 8500. Steve posted 50 seconds for the computer to send the image. Are the rest of you getting a total print time of 125 seconds, too? I need to know because I'd like to use this printer for golf tournaments and need to keep up with play. What system (computer) are you using and what is your print time?
TakeOneDigital is offline   Reply With Quote