Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:06 PM   #1

I looked at all the reviews and had some Dye Sub printers narrowed down to my preference. I would prefer a printer that prints 5x7's and 4x6. I would even go for 8x10 that I wouldn't need to do the croping for 5x7 ect. My problem is my camera is a Fujifilm F700 with an xd picture card. The Hi-Ti printers do not take the xd and my camera is not PictBridge compatable. I called the techs at Fuji only to find out this camera could not be upgraded. Now the only printerI saw that I could use isthe Epson Picture Mate. This is an inkjet which could be okay but only one size picture and no lcd screen. Is there a printer I'm missing? I looked up most of the newer ones with good reviews. Thanks for your help!
Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:24 AM   #2

My father-in-law's camera takes XD cards and he just got an XD to compact flash adaptor. Then he can use just about any printer or card reader.

I know a lot of people really like their Hiti printers but mine gets dust spots on just about every print - in spite of my efforts to clean it.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:05 PM   #3

Have you done any photo printing? Once you learn how much each picture is going to cost I doubt you will just insert your card and print pictures. It is cheaper and better to go to a discount store like Wal-Mart that uses a Fuji Frontier printer – especially for 4 X 6 prints. You can sort out the pictures on the computer and just write the ones you want back to the card for processing with most cameras.

I would never print a picture without taking it into the computer and doing some cropping and tweaking. The LCD isn't sufficient for even good cropping IMO.

The card reader in the printer would be nice for downloading, but card readers are cheap. Dye sub is expensive enough for both the printer and supplies that I would just get the best available for the price and pay $20 for a card reader. I really doubt you will want to make your printing decisions in a little LCD. And unless you are wealthy you aren't going to just print everything on the card.

And to save your images you have to download them to the HD anyway. It is easy enough to just send them to the printer from a program on the computer. And much easier to sort them in a program like Irfanview that will generate thumbnails in any size you want. I wouldn't compromise on a printer to get a card reader with it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:30 PM   #4
Administrator

The HiTi printers work fine using the xD-CF adapter available from either Fuji or Olympus. A freind of mine has two Olys with xD and uses a HiTi printer with adapter, no problems.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote