Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Dec 20, 2004, 4:43 PM   #1

I've had this printer for 2 years, and overall, has worked fine until recently. If I have more than one pic to print, all prints after the first print look as if one of the color pass imprints did not occur (i.e. first print is fine, subsequent prints look green or yellow, etc.). I've changed the printer pack and reloaded the drivers with no luck.

Also, the first 2 passes seem ok (view paper as it passes in an out of the printer). So, for some reason, the 3rd pass imprint is not working correctly. The print is actually running through the printer the same way as the first 2 passes. I'm guessing it has something to do either with the data passed to the printer or internal SV55 electronics/ thermal head...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Loren
laajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 12:23 AM   #2

Don't get too excited but now I have the same problem. Seems like one pass of the ribbon doesn't get tranferred, yet they are so dark. Is the ribbon faulty? Looks as though all colors are there. I'm just wasting paper and ribbon, great for Sony I guess, anyone else getting this (lately?)

Anyone tried Sony?

Wha is the latest driver and where can I get it?

Mike
kermode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:52 PM   #3

I've spoken with Sony tech support and they had no ideas. I've tried a new ribbon/paper pack and still the same problem. I've loaded every version of the driver with no luck.

I did try it on another computer running XP2 and it works correctly. This system doesn't have firewire, etc. I'm guessing it is some type of conflict with the Sony driver, XP2, and other software loaded on the computer. I do know that it worked correctly on my computer until I loaded XP2.....

All my other USB devices work properly. It doesn't look as if this driver has been updated in quite a while so I'm sure that there was not much XP2 testing done.

I'll probably replace the printer and buy either a Cannon or HiTi. While back I had a problem with horizontal lines on the prints. I called Sony and the only help they offered was to send it in for repair----unfortunately, their repair cost was more then a new replacement. When I mentioned this to them, they said that is all they could do. Since I didn't have anything to lose, I took the SV55 apart and cleaned all the rollers and used canned air to blow out all the dust, etc. The horizontal lines were gone.

So, I'm done with Sony. Even though the prints are great (when it works properly), their tech support is non existent.

Loren
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:11 PM   #4

I'd not used my printer for a year or so then bought a new pack SVM-25LS. Every print was OK. Having gained confidence, I bought 3 more packs apparently the same. Using the new pack, I got mostly dark prints either very green, very magenta etc. I tries new driver, rebooting, re-loaded into Photoshop, you name it, every conceivable combination. I would get an occasional print OK.

I have Kodak 8600 and 8650 10x8 dyesubs. About a year ago, the 8600 started to play up with a new ribbon. Kodak had slightly altered the spec and thedetector diodes that ensure the ribbon is on the correct color needed to be reset by Kodak. No doubtSv55 uses photo sensing diodes or similar to position/check ribbon position. I suspect Sony havechanged the spec of their ribbon and that sometimes or all the time some of the colors go starigt by and are not printed thus explaining the variationin appearance of the faulty prints. I've checked where the ribbon is AFTER each printing and it does look like its ready on the Yellow but that may be beacuse the photo diodes DO manage to pickup the end/start of the next ribbon set. Only my theory so far!

Either that OR it's a wierd software problem. Since my first pack of 25LS worked perfectly last week, then the second was hopeless, I suspecttheribbon location theory of mine. Ifyou or I get time, we/you could time the various whirs to see if sometimes there is a longer pause between printing one color and the next that would indicate missing a ribbon poition.

I dread wasting more time with Sony first wait ng on the phone for hours and then being told to check the driver or (as I was once told by Dell in respect of another problem, to reload windows!!!). Sony still gets the money for my duff prints. I;ve got 3 good ones out of 15 on this pack and wasted HOURS !!!!!!

I just MAY, take the printer to bits and clean up the sensors - if I can get to them.

What do you think???

I've just bought two new Canons the (heavy) D1s II and the 20D. Fabulous prints on the Kodak dye sub. But sometimes I just want 6x4's.

Mike
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:47 PM   #5

hy, please tellme the software for dpp sv 55
maritza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:08 PM   #6

Hi, I found what I thought was the latest on the Sony site. I don't want to be unhelpful, but best you find it yourself as I don't want to point you in the wrong direction.

Are you having dark/wrong color prints? If so this is pointing to a Sony problem with eithet their latest ribbons or a wierd software problem/interaction. See previous postings.

Mike
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:47 PM   #7

SONY !!!!!!!!!

I just tried to use the SONY email query form and posted all the above comments to them. But when you get to SEND, it won't go because it is impossible to select a product type!

Guess I should go buy a Canon now.

Mike
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:52 PM   #8

HAVEI FOUND THE SOLUTION???

My printer was plugged into a Belkin USB multi-port extestion that has its own power. However, I though I would try it directly into a USB2 port on the computer itself as some components are critical in this respect.

Well . . . . . every print so far has come out perfectly !!!!! When I get time I'll switch it back to see what happens. By the way when I first switched over, the computers did not see the printer??? So I installed the Sony XP driver again (which needs the printer plugged in?) by just doing a RUN from their web site rather than downloading the driver and running it from the computer, should make no difference, I was just lazy.

The driver path I used was http://esupport.sony.com/then

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/select-di.plthen on to the driver link

Latest Software Updates & Drivers:
11/05/2003 - Printer Driver:
Updated Digital Photo Printer Driver - For Microsoft® Windows® XP Operating System compatibility.

--- you'll see it.

Let me know if it works for you please.

Mike

Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:53 PM   #9

See my post of

kermode

Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:39 AM   #10

Mike, I've tried plugging my SV55 into the MB USB connector and also an added internal USB card---still the same results. The driver that you are using is the same that I have.

Hopefully, your printer continues to function OK. Appreciate the feedback.

Loren