Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:18 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22
Default

So after lots of ambiguous thoughts on inkjets and their possible fading, I think I might as well look into dye-sub printing as long as there aren't any downsides to them..

With that said, I see that the market is much more limited for dye-subs. I'd love to buy a Canon but all of theirs seem to be ultra compact which usually equates to being less quality-driven in general. Is this true for their dye-subs like the CD-200? And how would it compare to a printer like the HiTi 730ps?

I'm simply looking for amazing picture quality and picture longetivity, while hopefully staying below the $350-$400 range. 4x6 is a must and anything larger up to 6x8 would be nice, but I don't really care for anything larger than that.

Thanks for any info guys. I'd love to get one of these printers before Christmas if possible!

-Tim


PS: I just heard someone mention that their dye-sub prints would peel off onto their photo-album sheets. Is this common among this level of printers/dyes?
-Ever- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2004, 4:43 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
IanWgglswrth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 410
Default

-Ever- wrote:
Quote:
So after lots of ambiguous thoughts on inkjets and their possible fading, I think I might as well look into dye-sub printing as long as there aren't any downsides to them..

With that said, I see that the market is much more limited for dye-subs. I'd love to buy a Canon but all of theirs seem to be ultra compact which usually equates to being less quality-driven in general. Is this true for their dye-subs like the CD-200? And how would it compare to a printer like the HiTi 730ps?

I'm simply looking for amazing picture quality and picture longetivity, while hopefully staying below the $350-$400 range. 4x6 is a must and anything larger up to 6x8 would be nice, but I don't really care for anything larger than that.

Thanks for any info guys. I'd love to get one of these printers before Christmas if possible!

-Tim


PS: I just heard someone mention that their dye-sub prints would peel off onto their photo-album sheets. Is this common among this level of printers/dyes?

I've bought the Hi-Touch 730PS and the results are stunning.

I had the Canon CP220 before this and the results are just as good, personally I think the colour is slightly better on the Hi-Touch but thats just me.

I prefer the Hi-Touch PS models asthey allow you to use the cameras memory card, just plug the card in and adjust on the little hand held remote! easy.

This is better than using the camera screen to print from and hopefully not running out of battery power (another plus point for AA's) I have posted other comments in the forum under Dye-sublimation you may need to hunt about for a while.

The 730PS is not a cheap printer I bought this in the UK for £329.99 but as I've said before, I print my photos out and put them in an album so I wanted the best and I belive I have got it.

I also prefer the 5"x7" size to the 4"x6" and after looking about the Hi-Ti was the cheapest and most afordable to run while being able to print 3 different sizes, all of which are borderless.

Check out www.hi-ti.co.uk

Or the place where Ibought mine www.systeminsight.co.uk

I don't get anything forrecommending them beforeanyone asks but they are very helpful have lots of knowledge,and they are the only place I know of that you canbuy the printer use it for a week and if you dont like it send it back!! full refund just pay for the paper!

If I need bigger than 6"x8" then I will have it printed online or at a high street printers, not that I,ve ever printed out that large.

Personally I don't think you can do better thana Hi-Ti have a read of Steve's review though, you really nead to see one running and have a play with one to see how good they are.

Hope this helps

Ian


IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:10 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22
Default

Thanks for the great reply Ian. It definitely stregnthened my desire to buy the HiTi.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Two quick questions though:

It can be controlled easily through a computer/photoshop, correct?

And what's the difference between the 730ps abd 730pl? I understand that the PS is a standalone system (IE memory card imputs), but it can be controlled by computer too. The PL doesn't have memory card imputs, just USB from computer imputs. Why would someone buy it over the PS?



Thanks again guys.

-T

-Ever- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:45 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 76
Default

-Ever- schrieb:
Quote:
I'd love to buy a Canon but all of theirs seem to be ultra compact which usually equates to being less quality-driven in general.
You need to understand the technology. The printer only has to put the ribbon on to the paper, nothing more. This doesn't need much space. Thats why the CP series (and others as well) are so small. It has nothing to do with quality. Inkjet prints look good, but for 4x6, the Dye sublimation always wins. Inkjets compose the color using dithering while a Dye sublimationprinter prints the exact shade of the color components. For A4, the Dye sublimation gets very expensive. Thats the downside. Look very closely with a magnification glass, and you can see the difference.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 2:54 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22
Default

Jurgen Eidt wrote:
Quote:
-Ever- schrieb:
Quote:
I'd love to buy a Canon but all of theirs seem to be ultra compact which usually equates to being less quality-driven in general.
You need to understand the technology. The printer only has to put the ribbon on to the paper, nothing more. This doesn't need much space. Thats why the CP series (and others as well) are so small. It has nothing to do with quality. Inkjet prints look good, but for 4x6, the Dye sublimation always wins. Inkjets compose the color using dithering while a Dye sublimationprinter prints the exact shade of the color components. For A4, the Dye sublimation gets very expensive. Thats the downside. Look very closely with a magnification glass, and you can see the difference.

Thanks for the clairification!
-Ever- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:09 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 76
Default

-Ever- schrieb:
Quote:
PS: I just heard someone mention that their dye-sub prints would peel off onto their photo-album sheets. Is this common among this level of printers/dyes?
Actually forgot to comment on this. Never experienced that. It might has to do with the quality of the album I guess.

The Canon CP series apply a protective coating as the last (4th) step. Its quite common for these printers, but older printers like the Olympus P330 do this only if you have the special ribbon kit for this.
Jurgen Eidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:43 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
IanWgglswrth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 410
Default

-Ever- wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the great reply Ian. It definitely stregnthened my desire to buy the HiTi.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Two quick questions though:

It can be controlled easily through a computer/photoshop, correct?

And what's the difference between the 730ps abd 730pl? I understand that the PS is a standalone system (IE memory card imputs), but it can be controlled by computer too. The PL doesn't have memory card imputs, just USB from computer imputs. Why would someone buy it over the PS?



Thanks again guys.

-T

The only difference between the PL and PS models is the handheld remote controller and the card slots.

The PL model is only for connecting to a computer, I have no idea why someone would buy the PL model over the PS model in the UK the difference is only £30 so it makes sense to buy the PS model.

I suppose you have to look at what you will use the printer for, To be honest I have only printed out through the computer and software that came with the printer.

I think I have printed out once direct from memory card so maybe I should have gone for the PL model, but like I said for the extra cost not really worth it, I now also have the option of taking the printer with me if I go to a party or function and will be able to print out whereever I am.

I have scanned in some old black and white photos of my daughter and adjusted these in photoshop elements. then printed them out direct to the Hi-Ti.

You just need to remember to select the Hi-Ti printer and make sure the correct paper size has been selected. Thats it very easy.

Yes the black and white photos print out using the colour ribbon the results are stunning. You have to remember that the ribbon is in the pack with the paper so if there are 30 sheets of paper then the ribbon will print all of those 30 sheets no matter what you are printing, be it colour, black/white or a whole picture of a particular colour.

Some have said the consumables are expensive but the prices direct from Hi-Ti in the UK for these are:-

6"x8" photo paper 30 sheets £21.00 = 70p per print

5"x7" photo paper 30 sheets £15.00 = 50p per print

4"x6" photo paper 60 sheets £18.00 = 30p per print

Personally I don't think that is too expensive for the results you get, to come somewhere closeusing an inkjet(but you can still the lines on an inkjet) you would have to buy the best top quality paper and inks, which actually works out more expensive according to reviews I have read.

I wouldn't use an inkjet to print photos out again, IMHO the results are too good on the Dye-Subs and any cheap printer can print out documents, so this is what I have a cheap colour document printer and the Hi-Ti for photo printing.

Just to finish off if you buy one of these make sure you stock up on paper/ink packs as you will print everything!

CheersIan
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 2:07 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22
Default

I think I'm going to do some driving today and see if I can find a store that stocks the 730ps and it's consumables.

Thanks again for allof the info Ian and friends, you've been of great help! Happy holidays.



-T


-Ever- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
IanWgglswrth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 410
Default

-Ever- wrote:
Quote:
I think I'm going to do some driving today and see if I can find a store that stocks the 730ps and it's consumables.

Thanks again for allof the info Ian and friends, you've been of great help! Happy holidays.



-T

No problem hope you find one at the right price, you will be printing all throughout Christmas!!

The wife has already given this task to me, excellent I cankeep out of the way and play with the big boys toys!!

Merry Christmas and a happy new Year

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2004, 7:26 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 22
Default

So I struggled yesterday for about two hours trying to find a local store that stocks HiTi, nevertheless has the 730ps in stock. I found one store about an hour away from me and they got it in next-day (today) and I've already got it all wrapped up and under the x-mas tree

Can't wait to set it up tomorrow and start printing!

Thanks again guys. Happy holidays.

-T
-Ever- is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:16 PM.