Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Dye Sublimation

Old Jan 1, 2005, 5:28 PM   #1

Hi!

I'm currently in the market for a relatively cheap printer suitable for printing photos - I have a mono laser and an Epson C46, so don't really need the printer to do anything but photos.

Currently I'm doing photos on the C46, and I'm surprised how good they are for such a cheap printer, BUT it takes forever to print a picture, and while they look alright from about a foot away, anything closer and it's easy to see imperfections in the printing.

I've narrowed down my choice to two: Epson R200 and the HiTi 630PL. With regards running costs, I've made a guess at both and consider them both to be acceptable. It seems like both will take about the same time to print a photo, so really it just comes down to quality.

I like the idea of getting the "actual" colour on the HiTi, but am a bit concerned that the Epson will be able to produce more colours and a "better black". However, most of the images willcomprise skin tone (baby pics!), and I've heard that inkjets can produce quite "red" results.

I also like the idea of nice smooth images, without the dithering. However, if the 300dpi of the sub-dye is equivalent to 1440dpi on a inkjet, won't the 5760x1440 of the R200 mean that the image will be more detailed on the inkjet? Or does it really matter?

:?

So...ideas and advice please! And is there anything else I haven't considered?

TIA,

Rob.
rob_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:57 AM   #2

Hi Rob-M,

Where to start, what size do you want to print out at? This should determine what printer to go for.

I print out at a max size of 8"x6" if I need anything bigger will goto online print shop.

I have the Hi-Ti 730PS which will print 3 sizes 6"x4", 7"x5" and 8"x6" the PS version means I can use it as a stand alone printer no need to use the PC.

You have said your looking at the 630PL so this is a connect to PC only, you also say the the inkjet will produce a better black.

I have scanned in black & white photos and printed them out using the Hi-Touch with colour ribbon!and they look almost identical to the original so I don't think the Black will be a problem.

The 300DPI of the Hi-Ti is the equivalent to an inkjet printer of 4800x4800 dpi.

To getanywhere nearsimilar quality of print off an inkjet you would need to buy the best quality inks and paper which would cost more per print than the hi-ti according to reviews I've read. This may be cheaper on an inkjetby printing more photos on A4 paper then cutting them out.

Read the printer reviews that Steve has done, you may find another printer to compare against.

Also in the UK look at http://www.hi-ti.co.ukthis will give you the price of the consumables.

Worth noting if you go up to the 640PL/PS this also has a black&white ribbon/ paper pack 75 sheets 6"x4" £24.95 = 33p a print.

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 4:50 PM   #3

Thanks Ian!

The 730 was the one I was originally looking at because it would allow to print in several sizes. I can't really stretch to the 730 though - for the most part I print in 6x4 anyway, and if I wanted larger I probably would visit a kiosk as a one off. My main reason for avoiding this for the majority of my photos is that it's boring and doesn't allow me to mess about into the small hours of the morning... :-)

Reassuring to know that the black isn't a problem - I did notice the black and white ribbon, but I don't think I'd be doing that much mono work.

The dye-sub option does seem to be the way to go...

Cheers,

Rob.
rob_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 5:32 PM   #4

No Problem Rob,

I've not got any problems with the Hi-Ti the quality is excellent, and i'm sure you will be more than happy with the results.

I only bought the 730 because it can do the 3sizes I just prefer the 7"x5" size I think the results just look better at that size.

I did print out on a HP all in one photo printer but the HI-ti is just stunning so use the all in one for normal everyday printing I won't print photos with an inkjet the Dye-subs are too good.

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote